Downloading Weather File Issue

• Paul Gilman
More
07 Oct 2022 21:17 #11538 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Downloading Weather File Issue
Hi Donald,

I was able to download a weather file for the same location (it looks like you used the zip code 12309 as the location).

Can you attach a copy of the 12309_42.7992_-73.8755_psm3-tmy_60_tmy_bad.txt file mentioned in the log file?

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Evan Riley
More
10 Oct 2022 17:11 #11544 by Evan Riley
Replied by Evan Riley on topic Downloading Weather File Issue
Hi,

I am having the same problem as Donald.  My log file looks the same: "weather test file failed for....".  I had this problem with my 2020 version too, but prior to that, downloading weather files from the "Location and Resource" page was easy and worked every time.  I have attached a "bad" text file that I received when going through this process today for Portland, OR.

Cheers,
Evan Riley

• Paul Gilman
More
10 Oct 2022 20:25 #11545 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Downloading Weather File Issue
Hi Evan,

This error is due to the way SAM attempts to recognize location names. Try using "Portland, OR" with a comma separating the city name and state abbreviation instead of "Portland OR" without one. If you type "Portland OR" in the current version of SAM 2021.12.02 r2, you should get this error message:

Best regards,
Paul.

• Donald Whisenhunt
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2022 20:28 #11546 by Donald Whisenhunt
Replied by Donald Whisenhunt on topic Downloading Weather File Issue
Here is the file that is produced.
Donald

• Evan Riley
More
11 Oct 2022 13:21 - 11 Oct 2022 18:00 #11554 by Evan Riley
Hi Paul,

Here is the error I get when using the comma.  For me, the error is the same whether I use the comma or not.  I haven't seen the error you posted, with the "geocoding failed" message.  

The "bad" weather file that is saved into my weather directory is the same as that which I uploaded yesterday.  I have tried with other cities too, such as Newport News, VA, with the same result.  I have also tried clicking on "Advanced download" and selecting specific weather files.  In that case, I don't get an error, but the downloaded weather files all have "bad" appended to their names, and are essentially the same as that which I uploaded yesterday.

Thanks,
Evan
Last edit: 11 Oct 2022 18:00 by Paul Gilman.

• Evan Riley
More
11 Oct 2022 13:25 #11555 by Evan Riley
Hi Donald,

I don't see your text file.  I had trouble with the "bad" weather text files.  Even though the log file would upload fine, but the "bad" weather text files would not.  I ended up copying the "bad" weather text file into a Word doc and that seemed to upload fine.  Weird.

Cheers,
Evan

Moderators: Paul Gilman