Battery Updates for SAM 2021.12.02
This video describes new battery features for SAM 2021.12.02, including:
- A brief introduction to the battery model
- Reorganized user interface
- Levelized cost of storage (LCOS) metric
- New dispatch algorithms
- Battery life models
Modeling Battery Systems in SAM 2020.2.29: Front-of-Meter Systems
Modeling Battery Systems in SAM 2020.2.29: Behind-the-Meter Systems
- Presentation slides (PDF 1.3 MB)
- Q&A transcript (PDF 75 KB)
- SAM file for demonstration (SAM 137 KB)
- Wind generation profile for generic system example (CSV 61 KB)
Modeling Battery Systems in SAM 2020.2.29: Focus on Technology
- Presentation slides (PDF 552 KB)
- Jupyter Notebook Python example (ZIP 37 KB)
- Q&A transcript (PDF 69 KB)
A quick video showing how to size a PV-plus-battery system in SAM:
Modeling Photovoltaic Battery Systems in SAM 2017.1.17
Nicholas Diorio describes and demonstrates the new battery model features in SAM 2017.1.17. These include:
- DC-connected batteries
- PV-battery systems with PPA financial models for utility-scale systems
- Simple battery model for PVWatts
- Improvements to automated dispatch algorithm
For an introduction to SAM's PV-battery model, see "Modeling a photovoltaic battery system in SAM 2016.3.14" below.
Modeling a Photovoltaic Battery System in SAM 2016.3.14
Nicholas DiOrio builds on the Modeling a Residential Photovoltaic System in SAM 2016.3.14 webinar by continuing the demonstration and adding a battery storage system to the residential photovoltaic system. We will cover battery design parameters, dispatch options, and analyzing battery results.
Battery Storage for Photovoltaic Systems, Sep 2015
Nicholas DiOrio describes the battery storage model that is part of SAM's detailed photovoltaic model on September 17, 2015.
Photovoltaic Battery Model Beta Version Introduction, Jun 2015
NREL's Nicholas DiOrio introduces a pre-release Beta version of SAM's new battery model for photovoltaic systems. For a more up-to-date presentation of the model, see Battery Storage for Photovoltaic Systems, Sep 2015 above.