How to download SRW files outside of SAM

• Michael Starrett
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2019 17:18 #7737 by Michael Starrett
How to download SRW files outside of SAM was created by Michael Starrett
Hello,

I am hoping to use the SAM tool to download wind data and model a few specific areas not represented by the stock set.

I've tried to use the "Download a wind resource from the online NREL WIND Toolkit", but it hasn't worked, unfortunately. I've tried many many times but no luck - it won't connect and download.

I know I can use the "Use a wind resource file stored on your computer" section, but I don't know where to download it. I tried selected a location on the Wind Prospector tool and using the "Run Analysis" tab, then "Wind Resource Data Download (Point)" link, but I get a CSV.

Can you share how one goes about getting the SRW files outside of SAM itself, so that I can use the Browse function within SAM and select it once I have it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
18 Oct 2019 18:24 #7738 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How to download SRW files outside of SAM
Hi Michael,

The SRW file format is a text file format that SAM uses for wind resource data. You can find a description of the format in SAM's Help system, under Weather Data, Weather File Formats in the table of contents.

If you have suitable data, you can use a spreadsheet program or text editor to create your own SRW file.

Files that you download from the Wind Prospector website are in a different format, so you will have to convert the data to the SRW format.

Unfortunately, the WIND Toolkit downloads do not always work very well.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
24 Oct 2019 23:34 #7756 by Paul Gilman

• Olukunle
More
29 Jun 2020 14:08 #8366 by Olukunle
Replied by Olukunle on topic How to download SRW files outside of SAM
Another thing I want to point out is that if you are using the PySAM package you do not necessarily need the input wind resource file in .srw format. I was able to get a csv file from the NREL wind tool kit API and then reformat it to mirror the format in the SRW file (you can refer to the help section referenced by Paul above. After that set this in PySAM and it works. 

Moderators: Paul Gilman