How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file

• Michael Starrett
  • Topic Author
More
23 Oct 2019 16:27 #7753 by Michael Starrett
How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file was created by Michael Starrett
Hello,

I was having trouble getting SAM to download the wind files for other locations and made a post, here:
sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/2843-how-to-download-srw-files-outside-of-sam.html

Where I was advised that I could create my own SRW files.

I tried to make a follow up post but am not seeing it now - not sure what went wrong - but my question is: How do I download WIND Toolkit files with the necessary info to convert to SRW?

The SRW are delineated on hub height, with columns of [Temperature Pressure Direction Speed] for each hub height 50, 80, 110, & 140m.

When I download data from the WIND Prospector Website, I do get these columns (among others), EXCEPT that I do not get the hub height, and I do not know what hub height the data represents. 

I still haven't been able to get SAM to download the SRW files so I am hoping to make this work. Any help appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
24 Oct 2019 23:33 #7755 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file
Hi Michael,

From what I can gather from Table 1 in this document (provided as a link from the Wind Prospector website), the data from the Wind Prospector is at 100 m:

www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/61740.pdf

Let me know if you discover anything different.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Michael Starrett
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2019 18:28 #7785 by Michael Starrett
Replied by Michael Starrett on topic How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file
Hi Paul,

Many thanks! I found that I was able to use that data to create an SRW file for each location at the 100m hub height. 

I am hopeful that one day I'll be able to get the 80m data from the NREL SAM tool, but I understand that this is an API issue.

Thank you again, Paul!

• Olukunle
More
29 Jun 2020 14:03 #8365 by Olukunle
Replied by Olukunle on topic How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file
Actually the Wind Speed, Direction, Temperature at 80m is available via the API. Make sure that you do not set attributes then this way you can get all of the data referenced by Paul in the link here:  www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/61740.pdf  

• lia
More
01 Feb 2021 21:18 #9252 by lia
Can I obtain the data for 80m for my location in the uk?

• Paul Gilman
More
02 Feb 2021 17:35 #9253 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How to convert WIND Toolkit into SRW file
I do not know of a source of wind resource data for the UK. Please let us know if you find anything.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman