POA data in weather file

• Aswati Sreenivasan
  • Topic Author
More
08 Nov 2018 07:22 #6493 by Aswati Sreenivasan
POA data in weather file was created by Aswati Sreenivasan
Hi,

I have been trying to create a weather file with 10 min data imported from meteonorm. However when I run the simulation I get the following error "exec fail(pvsamv1): failed to calculate irradiance incident on surface (POA) 1 (code: -101) [y:1900 m:1 d:-2147483648 h:0]
Simulation pvsamv1 failed.". I have although added a column with POA with data from Meteonorm.

Hope for a working solution.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• benT
More
01 Jul 2019 22:47 #7493 by benT
Replied by benT on topic POA data in weather file
Aswati,

Did you finda a soultion to this issue?  I am getting almost the same error.

"exec fail(pvsamv1): failed to calculate irradiance incident on surface (POA) 1 (code: -102) [y:2019 m:1 d:1 h:0]
Simulation pvsamv1 failed."

Thanks,
Ben

• Paul Gilman
More
02 Jul 2019 15:40 - 02 Jul 2019 15:42 #7495 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic POA data in weather file
Hi Ben and Aswati,

Would you mind attaching a copy of the weather file (or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) for troubleshooting?

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2019 15:42 by Paul Gilman.

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Jul 2019 16:51 - 03 Jul 2019 16:52 #7509 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic POA data in weather file
Hi Ben,

Thank you for sending me your file. It has the following characteristics:

• 15-minute data
  • Contains plane-of-array (POA) irradiance data
  • Contains data for a few days of the year (June 25 - July 1)

You're on the right track, but instead of setting values for time steps you are not using to zero, I would set them to valid values to avoid the simulation errors. Here's one way to do that:

1. Use the weather file download tools on the Location and Resource page to download a default TMY file from the NSRDB for the site location. That file will contain hourly data with header information appropriate for the site.

2. Run the "Solar Resource Interpolation" macro (click Macros under the Simulate button) with "Interval Length" set to 15 min. If you just downloaded the file from the NSRDB, it should be selected on the Location and Resource page so you can use the macro's "Location and Resource page" option for "File selected from."

3. Use a spreadsheet program to edit the converted file (The macro should show you where the file is, by default it will be in your <user>/SAM Downloaded Weather Files folder.):

a) Create a "POA" column, and paste data from one of the other columns, maybe from the DNI column to create a complete column.

b) Insert your data into the appropriate rows.

4. In SAM, on the Location and Resource page choose the file in the library.

5. On the Location and Resource page, under "Albedo - Sky Diffuse Model - Irradiance Data (Advanced)", choose either POA form reference cell or POA from pyranometer.

6. Run a simulation. You may see a bunch of warning messages about calculated irradiance values that you can ignore.

7. On the Results page, use the Data tables or Time series tabs to examine the output data for days of valid data.

We are working on enhancements to SAM to make it possible to work with weather files that contain less than one year's worth of data.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 16:52 by Paul Gilman.

• benT
More
03 Jul 2019 19:48 #7512 by benT
Replied by benT on topic POA data in weather file
Paul,

Thank you for reviewing the file and suggesting a way forward.  I followed your direction to produce a file that SAM was able to use to run a successful simulation.  I then took a step back and started comparing the file that worked against my original file.  It turns out the issue was actually that I had a invalid time zone data in the header (-500 instead of -5).

After fixing that issue I was able to run a simulation successfully with a file that had the last day of valid data repeated for future days and a file where I just filled missing data with zeroes.

Thanks again for the assistance,
Ben

• iletisimler
More
04 Jul 2019 07:27 #7513 by iletisimler
Replied by iletisimler on topic POA data in weather file
thanks for information.

Moderators: Paul Gilman