POA data in weather file

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Jun 2022 17:29 #11026 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic POA data in weather file
Hi Gabriel,

The POA irradiance data option is only available for the Detailed PV model. It is not available for PVWatts.

To enable the option, be sure to choose one of the POA options from the list under Albedo - Sky Diffuse Model - Irradiance Data (Advanced) on the Location and Resource page:

Attachment poa-input.png not found

Make sure the column of  POA data in your weather file uses one of the following headers as described in the SAM CSV for Solar Help topic :
poa, pa, plane,plane of array,plane of array irradiance, poa_global

If all of those conditions are met, please attach a copy of your weather file so I can help troubleshoot, or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gabriel Simões
More
01 Jun 2022 18:33 #11030 by Gabriel Simões
Replied by Gabriel Simões on topic POA data in weather file
Thks for the quick reply.

I forgot to say but I'm using Detailed PV model No Financial model. My bad.

My header is "poa" to the poa data.

I read this problem on github ( github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/610 ), but I was unable to solve it by my own.

The file "phoenix_az_fake_poa" is from github and it worked on my simulation, but my file "FVT.-5.249.-37.974.RMY.00M_SAM_1hr" is not working.

I didn't get how I have to change my file to it gets alike with github file.

• Paul Gilman
More
02 Jun 2022 16:37 #11048 by Paul Gilman
Hi Gabriel,

The albedo data in your file is incorrect. The albedo values should be between 0 and 1 as described under "Albedo - Sky Diffuse Model - Irradiance Data (Advanced)" in the Help topic for the Location and Resource page: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/pv_location_and_resource.htm.

The loss diagram represents losses over the entire year, so I would expect it to be distorted by your special weather file that repeats 10 days of data to create a full year. The calculations used to generate the loss diagram are different from the simulation calculations, so the time series results should be reasonable even if the loss diagram is not.

We are investigating further and will let you know if we discover more.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Gabriel Simões
More
03 Jun 2022 11:58 #11061 by Gabriel Simões
Thks Paul for the information.

I fixed my albedo values but still the result is a generation of negative energy. Even with a file without albedo (file below). But the problem is when I check the check box "POA from pyranometer", this option is always leading me to this scenario of negative energy generation. Do you thing that's also because the weather file is repeating the data?

About the loss diagram, it's a bug generated by weather file data. So I can't make a loss analysis when I have a weather file which repeats the same data all over the year?

With that I wonder if there is other option to avoid this bug and still simulate a sub-annual data simulation. I would like to let LK programing or PySam as my last resource hahah

Thks again, Paul. You've been very useful.

Best regards
Attachments:

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Jun 2022 17:40 #11062 by Paul Gilman
Hi Gabriel,

We are looking into why the pyranometer and reference cell options are working differently with your weather file. For now, perhaps you could use the reference cell option.

The loss diagram reports losses over one year, so I am not sure what the information on the diagram would mean when your weather data is not for a complete year. You might find more useful results on the Time Series or Data Tables graph if you focus on the period of interest to your analysis and ignore the data for the other times.

I will let you know when we have more information about how to handle this special case.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Gabriel Simões
More
03 Jun 2022 17:57 #11064 by Gabriel Simões
Very very thank you, Paul.

I'll wait then.

Best regards.

Moderators: Paul Gilman