POA data in weather file

• Paul Gilman
More
08 Jul 2019 15:04 #7522 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic POA data in weather file
Hi Ben,

That is good to know.

We have tested the SAM models with valid weather data, so I can say with confidence that filling the unneeded rows with valid data guarantees that the simulation will not fail. Since your testing shows that filling missing data works for the PV model, you should feel comfortable using that approach.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Raam
More
03 Dec 2019 09:10 #7822 by Raam
Replied by Raam on topic POA data in weather file
Paul, I have a quick question. I exported time series for this simulation. Now I see a couple of values like Irradiance DHI Calculated, Irradiance DNI Calculated. Shall I take these values and create a resorce file that I can use with other softwares? 

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Dec 2019 17:57 #7823 by Paul Gilman
Hi Raam,

When you model a photovoltaic system plane-of-array (POA) weather data, SAM uses a decomposition model to calculate the direct normal irradiance (DNI) and diffuse horizontal irradiance (DHI) components from the POA irradiance and sun position angles. It reports those calculated values in the results as "Irradiance DHI calculated" and "Irradiance DNI calculated."

You can export that data to use in other models, but as always, be clear about the source of your data when you present results using this data.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Mauricio Pinto
More
10 Mar 2020 14:43 #8028 by Mauricio Pinto
Replied by Mauricio Pinto on topic POA data in weather file
Hi,

I have been trying to simulate a PV system but I'm getting the following error: 
exec fail(pvsamv1): failed to calculate irradiance incident on surface (POA) 1 (code: -108) [y:2011 m:1 d:1 h:0]Simulation pvsamv1 failed :exec fail(pvsamv1): failed to calculate irradiance incident on surface (POA) 1 (code: -108) [y:2011 m:1 d:1 h:0]

Does someone know what might be happening? Thanks.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Mar 2020 15:29 #8032 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mauricio,

Could you attach a .sam file and weather file (.csv) that demonstrate this issue?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Gabriel Simões
More
31 May 2022 20:40 #11025 by Gabriel Simões
Replied by Gabriel Simões on topic POA data in weather file
Good afternoon.

I have a weather data with POA as input, but when I simulate my scenario I got no values for DNI calculated and DHI calculated. It's simply zero, as like the software were not decomposing my POA data. Can you help find out how to sove this problem?

Obs.: My weather file is composed for 10 days of data repeating al over the year.

Best regards, Gabriel.

Moderators: Paul Gilman