Size of the Database

• Bodem Ole
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2020 15:01 #8544 by Bodem Ole
Size of the Database was created by Bodem Ole
Hi, 

I would like to know if I could roughly see anywhere how big the SAM database is (including all of the components for the different types of renewable energy systems, i.e. batteries, modules, etc.).

Thanks in advance,

Ole

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Aug 2020 00:18 #8563 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Size of the Database
Hi Ole,

I'm not sure what you mean by the size of the SAM database.

The SAM desktop application requires about 400 MB of disk storage space. A .sam file varies in size depending on the type of system being modeled, but is typically between about 75 KB and 1.5 MB.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Bodem Ole
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2020 10:27 #8582 by Bodem Ole
Replied by Bodem Ole on topic Size of the Database
Hi Paul,
First of all, thank you for your quick answer and sorry if i didnt express myself clear enough.

I am currently writing a thesis on multiple software programms which all deal with renewable energy systems (including SAM)
To rate them properly I want to compare these programms in different categories such as: Price, Size of the Database, extensibility, accuracy of the meteofiles, etc.

So to compare the size of the databases roughly i would like to know if i could look up the amount of all components which are included in SAM, anywhere ?

Best regards, 
Ole

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Aug 2020 21:49 #8584 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Size of the Database
Hi Ole,

If you want to see the size of component libraries that come with SAM, you can see them as CSV files in the SAM GitHub repository:

github.com/NREL/SAM/tree/develop/deploy/libraries

SAM downloads weather files from the National Solar Radiation Database (NSRDB), so it does not come with meteorological data files, except for a few example files.

nsrdb.nrel.gov

The best way to evaluate these resources would be to install the software and explore them. You can download SAM for free from sam.nrel.gov/download.

Best regards,
Paul

Moderators: Paul Gilman