Weather data in SAM

• Matan
More
17 Jun 2020 15:48 #8314 by Matan
Replied by Matan on topic Weather data in SAM
Hello Paul,

I wanted to ask for clarification about your suggestion to use  Pvwattsv51ts , to do analysis for intermittent weather data. Looking at the documentation, it seems that Pvwattsv51ts requires several more inputs, with respect to PVwattsV7, like: 
  • plane of array irradiance
  • Module temperature
Is there a way to generate/default these inputs, so only the same inputs as PVwattsV7 are required?

Best,

Matan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
17 Jun 2020 23:12 #8322 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Weather data in SAM
Hi Matan,

It turns out there's a bug in pvwattsv5_1ts that we recently fixed, and that will be part of SAM 2020.2.29 Revision 3, which we plan to release as soon as we fix some other issues.

github.com/NREL/ssc/pull/387

github.com/NREL/ssc/issues/385

Best regards,
Paul.

• Jad
More
11 Sep 2020 16:25 #8710 by Jad
Replied by Jad on topic Weather data in SAM
Hello Mr. Gilman,
I'm using SAM Industrial Process Heat to generate thermal energy for an external ORC cycle via Python wrapper (PySAM) which i want to simulate pseudo-dynamically, my approach to do this is to retrieve the instantaneously simulated outputs of SAM (Solar field outputs) at each time step before that SAM finish the whole year simulation and inject the necessary solar field outputs to the power block. Is there are any practical way to do this using Python wrapper ?

Best regards.

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Sep 2020 17:46 #8728 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Weather data in SAM
Hi Jad,

PySAM and the other wrappers that are part of the SAM Software Development Kit (SDK) do not provide access to the internal structure of the model, so it is not possible to use PySAM to set values of internal variables, or to start and stop the simulation within a year for the CSP models or lifetime for the PV models.

For your application, you may need to run the simulation over the entire year several times to generate results and then extract the data you need for your ORC cycle model.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Ash
More
22 Sep 2020 02:52 #8768 by Ash
Replied by Ash on topic Weather data in SAM
Hi Matan, 

May I ask, what is this application? Are you trying to forecast solar generation profile?

Cheers

Ash.

• Jad
More
25 Sep 2020 10:03 #8779 by Jad
Replied by Jad on topic Weather data in SAM
Hi Mr. Gilman,
Thank you for your help. 
Can i make some reasonable changes to the source code of SAM and generate my own version to perform pseudo dynamic simulation? if yes, please send me the code file that controls the overall simulation. I did some preliminary research in SAM/SCC repo on github but i did not succeeded  to find the code that i can change to suit my need.

Eddouibi
Kindly

Moderators: Paul Gilman