Errors when simulating IPH Trough, LCOH Calc + Molten Salt. SAM 2022

• JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
  • Topic Author
More
23 Oct 2023 12:15 #12573 by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
Errors when simulating IPH Trough, LCOH Calc + Molten Salt. SAM 2022 was created by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
I am using SAM 2022.11.21 for the first time, and I am not thoroughly familiar with all the concepts involved in the design. I am trying to run simulations to design a Concentrated Solar Thermal (Parabolic Troughs) facility to generate steam as feedstock for a petroleum refinery. I have followed the video resources guidelines and used similar design parameters from another project, but I am getting the following error logs when running simulations:
exec fail(trough_physical_iph): C_csp_trough_collector::on(...) COMPONENT defocus failed.
Simulation trough_physical_process_heat failed :Piping geometry file

Maximum fluid velocity: 1.50
Minimum fluid velocity: 0.70

To section 1 header pipe diameter: 0.3906 m (15.38 in)
To section 2 header pipe diameter: 0.3906 m (15.38 in)
To section 3 header pipe diameter: 0.2604 m (10.25 in)
To section 4 header pipe diameter: 0.2604 m (10.25 in)
To section 5 header pipe diameter: 0.3398 m (13.38 in)
To section 6 header pipe diameter: 0.3398 m (13.38 in)
Loop No. | Diameter [m] | Diameter [in] | Diam. ID
     1   |    0.1615    |    6.3570     |   1
     2   |    0.1082    |    4.2600     |   1
     3   |    0.1082    |    4.2600     |   1
     4   |    0.1615    |    6.3570     |   2

SSC requires input 'annual_electricity_consumption', but was not found in the SAM UI or from previous simulations
Simulation iph_to_lcoefcr failed :precheck input: variable 'annual_electricity_consumption' (Annual electricity consumption with avail derate) required but not assigned
SSC requires input 'annual_energy', but was not found in the SAM UI or from previous simulations
Simulation lcoefcr failed :precheck input: variable 'annual_energy' (Annual energy production) required but not assigned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Oct 2023 23:27 #12574 by Paul Gilman
Hi Julian,

This message suggests that the piping model failed. The model is described in Section 2.5 of Wagner, M. J.; Gilman, P. (2011). Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model. 124 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-5500-51825. ( PDF 3.7 MB ).

You may need to adjust some of your input parameters to fix the problem.

If you continue to have trouble, please attach a copy of your .sam file, and I'll try to help you troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2023 08:12 #12595 by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
Replied by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO on topic Errors when simulating IPH Trough, LCOH Calc + Molten Salt. SAM 2022
Good morning Paul. 
Thanks. I have reviewed the chapter. Still, I still may need some guidance. Firstly, I changed the number of Field Subsections (It was 8 as recommended in NREL video for Molten Salt systems) to 6. The simulation ran this time, but whenever I wanted to run "Parametrics" to try to determine the optimum Solar Multiple or the DNI value, the Parametric simulation partially ran and then stopped indefinitely. Unable to stop it by clicking "Cancel" I had to hard-close the session every time. By modifying the Min and Max flow speed (for both, Cold and Hot Header) I obtained an improvement in the Capacity Factor from 50.3% to 50.8%, and in LCOH from 2.11 to 2.05 c/kW-t, but still I got the same kind of error message related to the piping model. I am attaching the last error message, and also, the Input Values that I have used so far, exported to Excel. I appreciate your help on this.
Julian 

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Oct 2023 14:55 #12598 by Paul Gilman
Hi Julian,

Please attach a copy of your .sam file if you would like help troubleshooting.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2023 15:23 #12599 by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
Replied by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO on topic Errors when simulating IPH Trough, LCOH Calc + Molten Salt. SAM 2022
Hello, Paul.
I am attaching the .sam file of my project. I appreciate your help. 
Thanks,

Julian Prieto

• Paul Gilman
More
31 Oct 2023 00:31 #12603 by Paul Gilman
Hi Julian,

I tried the following with the first case in your file:

On the System Design page:
Design point DNI = 850 W/m2
Target solar multiple = 2

On the Solar Field page:
Header design min flow velocity = 2 m/s (cold and hot headers)
Header design max flow velocity = 3 m/s (cold and hot headers)

Then, on the Parametrics page, I tried a range of target solar multiple values between 2 and 3 with the following results:

Best regards,
Paul.

Attachments:

Moderators: Paul Gilman