Energy to load from battery

• Bill Cruise
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2023 19:48 #12534 by Bill Cruise
Energy to load from battery was created by Bill Cruise
    Really have enjoyed modeling with SAM!But perplexed by this one...and guessing I have incorrect settings.  Am using a Net Billing model.Trying to model the battery discharging to meet load demands after solar availability, and avoid grid.  Using an 18.5 kWh, 360AH  battery.  Have set TOU settings.  See attached.  Yet my "Energy to Load from Battery" Data is showing about 20kWh per month, when I'm expecting to see about 150 to 300 kWh per month (about 5 to 10 kWh per night).  My actual results show an average of about 7kWh per evening over the past several day. Will really appreciate your guidance!  Thanks! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
10 Oct 2023 18:11 #12537 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Energy to load from battery
Hi Bill,

You might try looking at the time series data for the period of interest to see what is happening with the battery. For example, you could check the battery state of charge during those periods to see if the battery has enough energy to discharge at the desired rate.

The discharge to load rate may also be limiting the battery discharge during those periods. You could adjust those inputs for the manual battery dispatch.

If you'd like me to help troubleshoot, please attach a copy of your .sam file.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Bill Cruise
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2023 18:31 #12540 by Bill Cruise
Replied by Bill Cruise on topic Energy to load from battery
Thanks very much for the reply, Paul.
I'll look at those variables, and am also attaching my SAM file.  I bet you can spot the problem much quicker than I!
Bill

File Attachment:

File Name: Oct62023 2...ling.sam
File Size:468 KB
Attachments:

• Bill Cruise
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2023 20:31 - 13 Oct 2023 15:41 #12542 by Bill Cruise
Paul,  Here's some additional actual data which might better show what I'm trying to model.  Note that the battery discharges smoothly from about 6 pm until 8:30 am the next morning, when it starts recharging.

The actual results from that day shows very little grid usage, and 0.2 imported from the grid overnight. 

I'm trying to have SAM reflect this type of scenario, which would show very little grid usage, and the battery handling after dark hours. (assuming proper weather conditions, beginning SOC, etc...)

So far, I haven't been unable to manipulate the settings to yield such results.  I have looked at SOC Lifetime Hourly Data, which seems "reasonable", yet monthly values for battery to load remain at approx. 20 kwH (+/-) versus the 150 kWh (+/-) that I'm seeing in real time.

Thanks again for taking a look!  Bill

Last edit: 13 Oct 2023 15:41 by Paul Gilman. Reason: Image upload failed

• Bill Cruise
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2023 20:42 - 13 Oct 2023 15:40 #12543 by Bill Cruise
Paul,

One more piece of the puzzle...the battery data.

Last edit: 13 Oct 2023 15:40 by Paul Gilman. Reason: Image upload failed

• Bill Cruise
  • Topic Author
More
13 Oct 2023 16:19 #12545 by Bill Cruise
Hi Paul,

Apparently the "Image upload failed" on this and the next posts you made.

Have been trying to find the right set of variables to produce what I'm looking for, but no luck yet. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've discovered!

Thanks!  Bill

Moderators: Paul Gilman