Creating wave resource data

• KostasGM95
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2023 23:26 #12433 by KostasGM95
Creating wave resource data was created by KostasGM95
Greetings.

I tried to upload a wave resource matrix but I could not. The program does not recognize the file. Basically I modified some values of a sample file without changing the headers. According to this forum sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3915-uploading-wave-energy-resource-data.html, the number of rows has to have the same number of columns, in my case 22 x 22 correct? I highlighted in yellow what I think the program takes into account to number the rows and columns. I'm using excel.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
17 Aug 2023 23:35 #12435 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Creating wave resource data
Hi Konstantinos,

Your file is correctly formatted except for trailing semicolons at the end of each row. You should be able to use a text editor to delete the semicolons so that SAM can recognize the file.

Best regards,
Paul.

• KostasGM95
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2023 00:14 #12438 by KostasGM95
Replied by KostasGM95 on topic Creating wave resource data
Thanks! it worked, however, in the example files I can see commas at the end of the first two rows to match the number of columns in the data rows. I deleted them as you said and was able to upload the file.

Now I have deleted the last column (20.5 s) and the last row (9.75 m) to keep the symmetry but I cannot upload it. What would be the error in this case?

Thanks Paul

• pgilman
More
21 Aug 2023 22:38 #12445 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Creating wave resource data
Hi Konstantinos,

It turns out that the number of required columns and rows in the file is fixed. The file must have a 21-by-20 matrix of data for wave energy periods between 0.5 seconds and 20.5 seconds in 1-second increments and wave heights between 0.25 meters and 9.75 meters in 0.5-meter increments as you see in the default files provided with SAM. You can set the frequency of occurrence to zero for cells in the matrix that you don't need.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman