Uploading Wave Energy Resource Data

• Reina
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2022 19:52 #11119 by Reina
Hello,

I am trying to upload a wave energy scatter diagram to SAM. I have followed SAM's CSV format for Marine energy. However, It appears I cannot upload a CSV file into my Wave Resource Library. Please let me know how I should convert my CSV file into a file format the SAM recognizes for wave energy models.

Thank you,

Reina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Jun 2022 14:54 #11126 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Uploading Wave Energy Resource Data
Hi Reina,

The marine energy resource file formats are described in Help here: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/weather_format_csv_marine_energy.htm.

To add wave resource files to the wave energy resource library, put the file(s) in a folder containing only wave resource files, and click Add/remove weather file folders on the Wave Resource page to add the folder. SAM scans the folders you add in this way for files to add to the library.

If you are having trouble with the file format, please attach the file and I will try to help you troubleshoot it. If you prefer, you can This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Best regards,
Paul.

• Reina
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2022 17:06 - 18 Jun 2022 11:22 #11129 by Reina
Replied by Reina on topic Uploading Wave Energy Resource Data
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply. The issue I was having was Add/remove weather file folders did not recognize CSV files as an upload-able file for SAM 202.12.2. MAC version. I tested this out when I duplicated a wave resource file that is automatically installed when SAM is installed, made sure there were no spaces in the file name, ( Add/remove weather file folders) did not recognize this file either.

I found a work around which was to duplicate a file from SAM->wave_resource folder on my personal computer. Then I edited the duplicated file to match up with the data from my wave resource file. I then refreshed the SAM library and was able able to find my resource file. 

Last edit: 18 Jun 2022 11:22 by Paul Gilman.

• Paul Gilman
More
18 Jun 2022 11:24 #11151 by Paul Gilman
Hi Reina,

This is most likely due to line endings in the CSV file. If you have a text editor that can change line endings, please try changing them to Unix (LF) or Windows (CRLF) line endings. You may also be able to do this using your spreadsheet program.

If that does not work, please attach a copy of the file so I can investigate.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Jun 2022 17:39 #11159 by Paul Gilman
Hi Reina,

Thank you for emailing your file.

For wave resource files, SAM requires that all rows have the same number of columns, so the header rows need extra commas at the end of the line to match the number of columns in the data rows.

Saving the file in a spreadsheet program should automatically insert those commas.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman