Model a System Than Can Export from Battery to Grid During Peak Tariff Times

• craigrichards
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2023 09:56 #12280 by craigrichards
Hi,

I am trying to model PV-Battery system with load data which allows us to export from the battery to the grid at a time when our rate for energy to the grid is very favourable. In South Africa our "peak" export rate is significantly higher than standard or off peak time so it will likely make financial sense to do this. I have modeled the system, loads and tariffs etc. but I cannot get the system to export energy from the battery from the grid. Is it possible to do this in SAM?

This question is very similar to the one that Barbara asked at the link below, but I don't think was answered properly:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3134-pv-battery-load-where-the-battery-is-allowed-to-export-energy-to-grid.html

I have also attached the SAM file for your reference, the scenario where I would have tried to model battery-export-to-grid is named "Model 1 3000 kWh Battery - Battery Export During Peak Periods"

Thanks in advance for your help,

Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
07 Jul 2023 23:07 #12284 by pgilman
Hi Craig,

It looks like you are using SAM 2020.11.29. I would recommend using the latest version of SAM to get the most up-to-date battery dispatch options. In SAM 2022.11.21, separate manual battery dispatch options allow you to specify when to allow the battery to discharge to the load and grid:

Older versions of SAM did not allow the battery to discharge to the grid.

Best regards,
Paul.
Attachments:

• craigrichards
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2023 11:39 #12310 by craigrichards
Hi Paul, 

Thanks for the prompt response...apologies, I did check and thought I had the latest version but I was wrong. I have installed SAM 2022.11.21 and it has exactly what I need to model feeding back into the grid from the battery. The option to add grid outages as a time series in the new version is also really nice, particularly for our situation in South Africa at the moment. 

Thanks for a really nice piece of software. 

Regards,

Craig

Moderators: pgilman