Influence of Solar Multiple on Thermal Energy Storage - CSP

• Bernardo
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2022 12:45 #11103 by Bernardo
Hi Paul.
On the System Design page, we define SM value and Field Thermal Power is calculated based on that value, but the Actual Field Thermal Output (Solar Field page) is different from the Field Thermal Power.
When we run a Solar Multiple parametric simulation, the value of actual field thermal output assume the value of field thermal power (based on SM value)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
13 Jun 2022 20:58 #11109 by pgilman
Hi Bernardo,

Please be sure to choose Option 1 on the System Design page and the correct "solar multiple" input for your parametric analysis: sam.nrel.gov/component/kunena/forum-general/3418

Best regards,
Paul.

• Bernardo
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2022 09:31 #11113 by Bernardo
Hi Paul.
What I am not understanding is because we define a SM value that gives us the Field Thermal Power, but the Actual Field Thermal Output is defined by the aperture area that we choose and is that value that is used during the simulation...
After running the parametric simulation to choose the ideal SM value, I need to adapt my model to that correspondent field thermal output, right?

I apologize for the doubt again, but I am not understanding at all...

Kind regards,
Bernardo.

• Bernardo
  • Topic Author
More
02 Aug 2022 18:59 - 03 Aug 2022 17:19 #11311 by Bernardo
Hi Paul.

I'm sorry to borrow you again...

When I made the question above, I was expecting for the parametric simulation to be done in that way, but it isn't...

As my model is too small, when I change solar multiple value, in a certain range of values, the "Actual Field Thermal Output" doesn't change because the "Actual number of loops doesn't change". The physical consequence of this is that even increasing solar multiple value, the current size of the solar field reamins the same because it doesn't afect the "Actual number of loops". As you can see from the file attached, the effect in LCOE is not realistic...

For example, the default model doesn't have that problem because when we change solar multiple value, the number of loops change immediately.

A possible solution could be runing a parametric simulation in "Actual Field Thermal Output" value, because it would be realistic in that situation, but as this value is an output, SAM doesn't allow me to do that... 

What do you advise me to do?

Thank you,
Bernardo.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2022 17:19 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
03 Aug 2022 17:23 #11317 by pgilman
Hi Bernardo,

You might consider breaking your parametric study into two parts: One for a higher range of solar multiple values, and another for a lower range of solar multiple values. Then you could adjust the inputs as needed for each part.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Bernardo
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2022 17:46 #11318 by Bernardo
Hi Paul.
Even using a large range of solar multiple values, the results are not realistic as you can see from the file attached...
I tried to use Option 2 : Field Aperture on the System Design but it doesn't work anyway.
There is no possibility to do a parametric simulation with "Actual field thermal output" because it is an output, right? It would solve my problem...

Find the model attached if you want to take a look...

Best regards,
Bernardo.

Moderators: pgilman