We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Question on cloud connectivity and data privacy

• Fernando_mr
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2022 15:45 - 16 Mar 2022 23:32 #10696 by Fernando_mr
Hello,

I'd like to install SAM and I need clearance to do so. 've been asked the following questions:

1. Does SAM have any cloud connectivity and will it be sending any information out of the company's environment?

2. Will the software synchronize to 3rd party cloud services?

Would you be able to help me answer these questions?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando
Last edit: 16 Mar 2022 23:32 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
16 Mar 2022 23:50 #10697 by pgilman
Hi Fernando,

1. The first time you start SAM, you must request a registration key by submitting your email address to a secure server at NREL (this is done via developer.nrel.gov) to request a registration key. After you register, each time you start SAM, it connects to the sames server to verify your key. You can read more about that in Help: See "Your personal data and SAM" in the "Registration" topic under "Reference" in the Table of contents. There is also information here: sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/1046.

SAM also connects with a few web APIs to download data in text format such as weather files, electricity rate data, and power price data. SAM submits an API key to make those requests, which result in a file being downloaded from the API to your computer that SAM can then read. You can find a list of the URLs SAM uses in the "Web Access and Proxies" topic of Help (also under "Reference" in the table of contents).

2. SAM does not synchronize any data with 3rd party cloud services.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman