We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Results in tower CSP

• franmoraga
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2021 16:06 #9858 by franmoraga
Replied by franmoraga on topic Results in tower CSP
Dear Paul,
Here's a reference paper (it's just a general idea, since my Dispatch Control is different) of what I'd like to do. My doubt is that the changes in the generated energy do not follow the pattern that was indicated to the model in the Dispatch control.
I am clear that SAM does not allow to perform PV + CSP hour by hour, but my doubt is that defining the Dispatch Control that I showed previously, there should be a different production.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
22 Jul 2021 21:07 #9861 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Results in tower CSP
Hi Francisco,

Thank you for the additional information.

It might be useful to look at the "TES charge state" and "Receiver incident thermal power" variables in addition to the "System power generated" so you can see how the system is attempting to meet the turbine output fraction target with the available energy from the receiver and thermal storage.

For example, in this graph showing the days around the summer solstice, you can see that the system power generated follows the general trend defined by the turbine output fractions, but when there is energy from the receiver and storage is full, the system power exceeds the turbine output target.

Best regards,
Paul.

• franmoraga
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2021 21:18 #9862 by franmoraga
Thank you very much dear Paul, your help is very valuable.
One last question, please.
I understand everything you explained to me, but is there a way to modify this behavior ?, that is, when the storage is full, that no energy reaches the receiver (changing the direction of the heliostats, for example), in order to achieve the generation pattern that I want for the plant? or is that not possible in SAM or PySAM? Any advice to get what I want, or is it just beyond the scope of the software?
Thank you very much again,
Greetings,
Francisco

• pgilman
More
22 Jul 2021 22:03 #9863 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Results in tower CSP
Hi Francisco,

One way to limit the power generation is using the inputs on the Grid Limits page. This is a manual approach that requires that you specify the times that you want the power generation to be adjusted, so may not be a good solution for you.

Best regards,
Paul.

• franmoraga
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2021 22:17 #9865 by franmoraga
Thank you very much Paul. In that option that you indicate ("Grid Limits"), the excess energy is simply lost, right? That is, by adjusting the energy that is injected into the grid, the rest is eliminated and no benefit can be obtained from it, or am I wrong?

• franmoraga
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2021 22:20 #9866 by franmoraga
In that case, what is limited is not the power generation, but rather the injection into the grid, or am I wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Francisco

Moderators: pgilman