Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Aug 2021 17:52 #10019 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation
Hi Michel,

By default, there is a 5% soiling loss on the Losses input page that applies to the POA irradiance. Do you see that difference if you set the soiling loss to zero?

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michel
More
30 Aug 2021 18:16 #10021 by Michel
Replied by Michel on topic Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation
Hi Paul:
Yes, I set all soiling monthly values to zero to eliminate any potential 'background noise'.  frac values calculated by SAM should be the same as the value calculated manually.
You could verify it with any model of your choice as the manual calc is straightforward.

• Daniel Marshal
More
19 Jan 2023 14:26 #11845 by Daniel Marshal
Replied by Daniel Marshal on topic Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation
Hi Michel and Paul,

So how to solve this unequal result problem? I try to calculate it by hand as well and face the same Problem. I use the same equation for S_dss as Michel wrote before.
Regards,
Daniel

• Michel
More
21 Feb 2024 14:52 #12931 by Michel
Replied by Michel on topic Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation
From Daniel's email, it seems that this discrepancy persists.  Did NREL look into the code to find out why?

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Feb 2024 18:46 #12934 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Confusion Regarding Irradiance Calculation
Hi Michel,

The sky diffuse factor for non-linear self shading has a relatively small effect on the output of the array, and the discrepancy you have pointed out between SAM's results and values calculated using the equations in Seciton 9.2 of the PV reference manual is also small, so we haven't made sorting this out a priority.

The equations for these calculations are in the sssky_diffuse_table() function, which is defined here in the SSC source code:

github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/f6cf8d33f9f8bc859d174b7c41e8a07eda0d019b/shared/lib_pvshade.cpp#L300

I created an issue for this in the SAM GitHub repository: github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/1705.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman