Weather issues between SAM 20.2.29 release 3 and release

• mark.norman
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2020 06:05 #8541 by mark.norman
Hi Paul

EPW weather files and my own SAM sb-hourly CSV files that were working with release 2 are no longer valid when working with release 3. I have re-installed release 2 and I am back working fine, and the issues below disappear.

Issue1)
Using release 3, with my ownSAM CSV sub-hourly weather files, execution fails with: “Weather file hour range was not (0-23) or (1-24)”. Hourly files work fine. I have attached my sub-hourly file.

Issue2)
Using hourly EPW files from climate.onebuilding.org/ causes the following issue

exec fail(pvsamv1): Error calculating shadingfactor for subarray 0 at index 0
Simulation pvsamv1 failed :execfail(pvsamv1): Error calculating shading factor for subarray 0 at index 0

If I convert them to SAM CSV files, then they work fine. The weather file checker macro states the EPW file is fine. EPW file attached.

Note: Another user has raised this issue here: sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3095-exec-fail-pvsamv1-error-calculating-shading-factor-for-subarray-0-at-index-0.html#8531

Thanks very much.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Aug 2020 00:13 #8561 by Paul Gilman
Thanks, Mark.

We're investigating. You can track our progress on GitHub.com:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/365

Best regards,
Paul.

• mark.norman
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2020 02:21 #8564 by mark.norman
Hi Paul,

Thanks for looking at this matter.

The Github post states:  "a pvsamv1 error when usingsubhourly EPW weather files". Just so there is no confusion, the EPW issue was with hourlyfiles, I have not checked sub-hourly.

The other issue I raised was with SAM CSV sub-hourly weather files, causing the error: “Weather file hour range was not (0-23) or (1-24)”. SAM CSV hourly files worked  fine.

Neither error occurs with release 2, only release 3.

Regards Mark

• Paul Gilman
More
29 Oct 2020 16:33 #8949 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mark,

This issue will be fixed in the Fall 2020 version of SAM.

Note that the time stamp Hour and Minute values in the SAM CSV format must be integers. As part of this fix, we have improved the error reporting to make that clearer.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman