Photovoltaic Systems PV Sizing and Configuration

• Bertie Bezuidenhout
  • Topic Author
More
09 Aug 2020 12:54 #8537 by Bertie Bezuidenhout
Photovoltaic Systems PV Sizing and Configuration was created by Bertie Bezuidenhout
Hi Paul, on page 169 of the PDF help document, it is said that “SAM can only model systems with one type of module, and one type of
inverter. You cannot use sub-arrays to model a system that combines different types of modules or inverters.”
I am busy with one commercial installation where the previous PV modules are “no longer available” and for the extension of the
system, I must use PV modules which are currently available. These PV modules are of higher ratings and from a different manufacturer. Secondly, the inverters, although from the same manufacturer, are of different ratings.
So, if I understand it correctly, I cannot use SAM for this nor any other installations where I may have to use different sized inverters
per sub-array?
Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
10 Aug 2020 15:31 - 18 May 2023 15:35 #8539 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Photovoltaic Systems PV Sizing and Configuration
Hi Bertie,

For each case in a SAM file, you can only choose one type of module and one type of inverter for the system in that case as described in Help.

Depending on the nature of your analysis, you may be able to model a system that uses different modules and inverters by using separate cases to represent each section of the system with different components, and then using the Combine Cases macro to combine the output of the different sections to use as input to a financial model as described in this post:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/1540

UPDATE: As of SAM 2021.12.02, the Combine Cases macro is replaced by the Calculate generation profiles and nameplate capacity from open cases option on the Power Plant page for the Generic System model and Generic Battery model. See the SAM YouTube channel for a short tutorial .

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 18 May 2023 15:35 by Paul Gilman.

• Roberta Arena
More
13 May 2022 10:49 #10957 by Roberta Arena
Replied by Roberta Arena on topic Photovoltaic Systems PV Sizing and Configuration
Good morning,
I need to use two types of modules connected to the same inverter with optimizers. From the previous answer I deduce that it is not possible, but I ask if in the meantime something has changed
Than you for your work
Best Regards 
Roberta

• Paul Gilman
More
13 May 2022 16:04 #10959 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Photovoltaic Systems PV Sizing and Configuration
Hi Roberta,

It is still not possible (as of SAM 2020.12.02) to model a PV system with different types of modules or inverters in a single case. You can still use the approach described above of separating the sections of the array with different module types into separate cases described above.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman