Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator

• Alfred Abukubu
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2019 12:58 #7454 by Alfred Abukubu
Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator was created by Alfred Abukubu
Hi, I am a student using SAM for the first time to develop CSP parabolic trough model for Solar-to-Steam Generation. It seem like there are many inputs/outputs directly relating to SSG. Do you have any advice on the primary and important inputs/outputs required to fully develop and analyze a model of such?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Jun 2019 18:58 #7456 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator
Hi Alfred,

Please see the video listed under Industrial Process heat as a starting point: sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-videos.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Angus King
More
17 Jun 2019 11:52 #7459 by Angus King
Replied by Angus King on topic Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator
Alfred

A useful approach when starting out is to use the Generate Code menu option for you chosen model to generate sample code in your preferred programming language. Just choosing the model with default values (i.e. choose model and then straight away generate code) usually gives a set of values for all inputs for you to examine (and come to understand). The IPH video Paul mentions has a sample (albeit for an earlier version of the model) also gives you a starting point.

Kind regards

Angus

• Alfred Abukubu
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2019 11:58 #7467 by Alfred Abukubu
Replied by Alfred Abukubu on topic Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator
Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for your video suggestion. I had seen the video earlier; however, when I try to model the solar-steam generator SAM allows one of two options for the solar field. With SAM in general it is either you use the aperture area or a solar multiple, from which SAM uses one to calculate the other.
This posed a issue for me because I have a real pilot studies (data) which I wanted to use for my comparative analysis but the calculated variable (Solar Field area/ Thermal Output) do not match. I wonder if you have any idea or work around about this issue.
Also the I want to ask if you know the possibility of directly or indirectly (MATLAB) entering other parameters (steam quality to be precise) into the model.
As well modeling an heat exchanger free model on SAM.
Best regards,
Alfred

• Paul Gilman
More
18 Jun 2019 13:59 #7468 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Using SAM to Model Solar-Steam Generator
Hi Alfred,

As you note, for the industrial process heat parabolic trough model, it is not possible to specify the aperture area as an input.To model your particular system, you will need enough information to specify the parameters on the Solar Field, Collectors, and Receivers page so that the solar multiple you specify results in an aperture area that matches that of the actual system.

As Angus mentioned above, you can use SAM's code generator to create MATLAB code that sets the value of SAM inputs by interacting with SAM's application programming interface (API). For more about that see the SDK page . However, that approach does not make it possible to modify internal calculations of the model.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman