We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Commercial

• saman1368
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2017 15:10 #5386 by saman1368
Commercial was created by saman1368
Hi
I am utilizing SAM to develop PV load shape for different climate zones, I already developed the residential model and now trying to model commercial and industrial, there is no specific mode just want to know what are the differences between industrial, commercial and residential PV systems. As far as i know one of the main difference is the number of cells in the panel, is there any specific thing i have to count so can say this mode is industrial or commercial?

Regards
Amirsaman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
27 Apr 2017 17:37 #5387 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Commercial
Dear Amirsaman,

Thank you for the message.

When you create a project in SAM, you choose a performance model and a financial model. For example, to model a residential project like a roof-top system on a house, you could choose the Detailed Photovoltaic model and the Residential Financial model. To model a ground-mounted PV system on a farm or a roof-top system on a factory, you could choose the Detailed Photovoltaic model and the Commercial Financial model.

The residential and commercial projects use the same performance model, but different financial models. In general, PV systems for residential projects tend to be smaller than commercial ones, and those tend to be smaller than utility-scale (or industrial) projects. However, SAM does not prevent you from modeling a large PV system with the Residential financial model, or a small system with the Commercial model or one of the PPA financial models for utility-scale projects. It is up to you to design a system that is appropriate for your analysis.

The different financial models allow for different debt and other financial features. For example, the residential model has options for a standard or mortgage loan. The commercial model has options for depreciation that is not available in the residential model. Both the residential and commercial models assume that the PV system is used to reduce the building or facility electricity bill. The PPA models, on the other hand, are for power generation projects that earn revenue by selling electricity at a price determined by a power purchase agreement (PPA). Those models have more sophisticated financial features appropriate for a power generation project like reserve accounts, internal rate of return requirements, sculpted debt, etc.

Best regards,
Paul.

• saman1368
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2017 17:45 #5388 by saman1368
Replied by saman1368 on topic Commercial
Thanks for the respond dear Paul
But in SAM we are limited to 8 modules if we gonna use 3D shading.Am i right?
Like right now I want to design 50KWdc system if I use 300 module how can I do 3D shading?

• pgilman
More
28 Apr 2017 17:11 #5389 by pgilman
The 3D shade calculator is limited to 8 strings of modules per subarray. There is no limit to the number of modules per string. You can include up to 4 subarrays in the system.

Best regards,
Paul.

• saman1368
  • Topic Author
More
28 Apr 2017 17:33 #5390 by saman1368
Replied by saman1368 on topic Commercial
Thanks a lot for your great support and response
due to voltage limitation, i can't increase the number of module per string that much.
do you have any example in your database that I can understand the concept of large system design better? I couldn't find anything online
And if not is there any other suggestion for shading other than 3D?

Regards
saman

• pgilman
More
28 Apr 2017 17:43 #5391 by pgilman
Can you describe in more detail the system you are trying to design? Can you design the system in SAM without 3D shading and send it to me? Perhaps from there I can better help you identify any limitations of the 3D shade calculator.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman