How can I model shading for PV?

• RD3 Sunworks
  • Topic Author
More
19 Sep 2015 15:14 #3720 by RD3 Sunworks
How can I model shading for PV? was created by RD3 Sunworks
Finding it very diffucult to model the effect of shading on my PV. SAM will import s3d file, but that format seems to be practically unheard-of! I have a very accurate model of my PV/house arrangement in Sketchup which I
would like to use in SAM to model the shading, but I can't find any way to import it into SAM. I can export 3D from Sketchup using all the following formats: 3ds, dae, kmz,dwg, dxf,fbx, obj, wrf, xsi. None of these file formats are accepted by SAM, it will only accept s3d but, since hardly nobody on the internet seems to know what s3d even is, I cannot find any way to convert any of the Sketchup export formats.

What is going on? Can't you provide import into SAM using a more available file format?

I find the little drawing feature in SAM shading to be very difficult to use, not to mention that I already have an accurate 3D model of my geometry--just need a way to import it into SAM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
21 Sep 2015 18:18 #3721 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How can I model shading for PV?
Hello,

As you note, SAM uses its own format for the shade calculator's three-dimensional representation of the shading scene. It is not possible to import drawings in other formats, or to export the drawing from SAM to another format.

Thank you for this feedback -- I will pass it on to the development team.

Best regards,
Paul.

• RD3 Sunworks
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2015 00:07 #3722 by RD3 Sunworks
Replied by RD3 Sunworks on topic How can I model shading for PV?
Thank you, Paul!

• Koen
More
19 Aug 2016 10:20 #3723 by Koen
Replied by Koen on topic How can I model shading for PV?
Hello Paul,

this functionality would help a lot ,saves a lot of work since the built environment is often available in some format from CAD packages. Did the development team decide on this topic yet? I could not find it yet in the newest SAM release.

Best regards,
Koen

• pgilman
More
19 Aug 2016 20:39 #3724 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How can I model shading for PV?
Dear Koen,
We have been thinking about how to implement this for the next version of SAM. Would you mind [url=mailto:sam.support@nrel.gov?subject=Sample%203D%20file%20for%20shading%20tool t=_self]emailing me[/url] an example of the kind of file you would like to import into SAM?
Best regards,

Paul.

• Koen
More
23 Aug 2016 09:55 #3725 by Koen
Replied by Koen on topic How can I model shading for PV?
Hi Paul,

i'd love to, but I cannot find the attach file button in reply messages in this conversation. What do you advise me to do?

thanks
Koen

Moderators: pgilman