Financial Model Suggestions

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2022 23:30 #10774 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Financial Model Suggestions
Hi Scot,

Thank you for the suggestion. We don't have funding for fuel cell model improvements at the moment, but it is good to know of your interest in this feature.

Because a SAM simulation involves both a performance model and financial model, it can be used by a project developer to help make project development decisions. For example, a developer could use SAM to help decide whether a project meets both technical and financial requirements in the early stages of the development process. A developer may use more detailed engineering or financial software as the development process proceeds and more detailed design questions need to be answered, or the financial modeling needs to be more customized to the projects specific needs.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scot
More
27 Apr 2022 19:43 #10894 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Financial Model Suggestions
Hi Paul,

I attended the DOE H2IW Hour event today that used SAM to model H2 production costs with PV and Concentrated Solar systems.
Is this going to be an update to SAM that will enable this? Do you have a timeline on this update if it is to be released?
www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/articles/h2iq-hour-concentrated-solar-power-pathway-electrolytic-hydrogen-production
Thanks

Scot

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2022 23:20 #10902 by Paul Gilman
Hi Scot,

I believe the presentation you saw was about NREL's HOPP model , developed as part of NREL's Hybrid Energy Systems Research .

HOPP uses SAM and other NREL models for the different steps in its optimization process. We have had some discussions about the possibility of implementing some of HOPP's functionality into SAM to help facilitate modeling hybrid power projects, but that work has not been funded (yet).

We did recently add a new combine cases feature described in this video on the SAM YouTube channel as a step toward being able to model hybrid systems in SAM.

SAM does have a basic fuel cell model and can model an electric power generation system that combines a PV array, fuel cell, and optional battery storage. SAM does not have an electrolyzer model.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Cornelius Sinwa Fai
More
01 May 2022 01:09 - 03 May 2022 22:03 #10918 by Cornelius Sinwa Fai
Replied by Cornelius Sinwa Fai on topic Financial Model Suggestions
Hello SAM team,

This is Cornelius, a student at Northeastern University and I'm learning to use SAM. I have a school project and I decided to use SAM software for it. Please I need someone's help to run me through the software with a shared screen on zoom.
I'll be happy if anyone has time to help. I have to design and analyze a PV and storage system for some buildings at Northeastern University. I also have to analyze the electricity bills. While waiting for your reply, stay blessed.

Best, Cornelius
Last edit: 03 May 2022 22:03 by Paul Gilman.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
03 May 2022 22:06 #10924 by Paul Gilman
Hi Cornelius,

We have posted several videos explaining how to model different kinds of systems in SAM. Please see:

sam.nrel.gov/photovoltaic/pv-videos.html

sam.nrel.gov/battery-storage/battery-videos.html

sam.nrel.gov/financial-models/residential-and-commercial.html

You can also find information about SAM's inputs in the Help system that comes with the software.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Brendan Adair
More
26 Aug 2022 19:22 #11395 by Brendan Adair
Replied by Brendan Adair on topic Financial Model Suggestions
Hey Paul,
I have two different things that I have noticed would be very useful for SAM, the second of which I think is particularly helpful for those who are on a tariff that includes a demand ratchet. Here's what I got. 

Recently I have been working on using SAM to model a behind the meter BESS project for a public university. The meter that the system is on already has existing solar that reduces a significant amount of demand during the day. When I try to model this in SAM as a PV + Battery project, the system calculates savings from my existing solar system into the projects cash flow. This makes it harder for me to determine the financial feasibility of just installing the battery on my micro-grid. To work around this I am using the generic battery model with a net load profile that includes my facility load minus solar generation at every given interval. I would like see SAM have the same PV + Battery model with the capabilities to have the algorithm ignore potential savings from either solar or battery and just include whichever the operator chooses to include in the financial calculations. This isn't really a big deal as I have a work around that seems to do the trick, but it would be a helpful addition to look into. 

The next thing I would like to see is an update to the billing demand section of the electricity rates tab. The issue I have is with getting SAM to properly model my utility tariff that includes a demand ratchet. The ratchet is set up for my tariff as such: 

Arizona Public Service E-35
On-Peak hours 11:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Off-Peak hours All remaining hours
For billing kW purposes:
a. The On-Peak is based on the greater of the following:
 i. The average kW supplied during the 15-minute period of maximum useduring the billing period; or
ii. 80% of the highest On-Peak kW measured during May through October
of the twelve months ending with the current month.

b. Off-Peak is based on the average kW supplied during the 15-minute period ofmaximum use during Off-Peak hours.

My issue is that, in the "billing demand by time-of-use period for demand charges" section, I can only choose whether or not each period is included in the billing demand, and not in the ratchet calculation. Instead, SAM will include any period used for demand billing in the ratchet calculation as well.  This means that if I want to simulate demand charges for off-peak hours, which I do as we get demand charges for all TOU periods, then these off-peak hours can also be used to calculate the ratchet. My tariff will only use on-peak hours in its ratchet calculation, which causes issues as SAM will set the ratchet off-peak if I happen to have a larger demand peak at that time. It would be very useful if there was the ability to decide what TOU periods SAM takes into account for setting the ratchet as well as the feature it already has to pick which periods are included in the billing demand. On top of this it would be helpful if the "billing demand by month" table had a column where I could choose to include or exclude individual months from the ratchet calculation. 

Moderators: Paul Gilman