AC/DC Ratio in SAM API

• testlogin123
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2024 10:36 - 09 Jul 2024 11:21 #13280 by testlogin123
AC/DC Ratio in SAM API was created by testlogin123
Hey SAM community,

I’ve been developing a script that integrates Google Sheets with SAM to streamline the process of entering project details into SAM, displaying outputs, and performing calculations based on these outputs. However, I have a question about the calculations created from the API versus the desktop application.

Currently, my Google Sheets program uses the AC size of the microinverters to calculate the system capacity and doesn’t account for the DC size of the panels. However, in the SAM desktop application, I use the DC rating of the panels and the AC/DC ratio based on the relative size of the microinverters. This seems to be a significant factor in accurate modeling, but the SAM API lacks this consideration, and I’m concerned that my estimates might be inaccurate without addressing this point.

The function is designed to:
  1. Retrieve project parameters from Google Sheets.
  2. Calculate system capacity based on microinverter output and quantity.
  3. Make an API call to PVWatts to get estimated monthly energy production.
  4. Adjust these estimates for shading.
  5. Calculate the total annual energy production.
  6. Update the spreadsheet with the calculated annual production.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the impact this discrepancy has in estimating production, or any feedback on improving my current approach.Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 09 Jul 2024 11:21 by pgilman. Reason: Format for legibility

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
09 Jul 2024 11:26 #13289 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic AC/DC Ratio in SAM API
Hello,

Documentation for the PVWatts V8 API on the NREL Developer Network is here: developer.nrel.gov/docs/solar/pvwatts/v8/ .

This API uses the same inputs as the PVWatts implementation in the SAM desktop application and the online PVWatts Calculator ( pvwatts.nrel.gov/ ).

The 'system_capacity' input parameter is the PV array capacity in DC kW. The 'dc_ac_ratio' input is the PV array capacity in DC kW divided by the total inverter AC capacity in AC kW.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman