SolarPILOT module

• Maria
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2021 19:54 #9587 by Maria
SolarPILOT module was created by Maria
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone knows what is the correct order to use the SolarPILOT module from PySAM. I already have a model for my plant TCS and a financial model, but it is not clear to me which input should be delivered to PySAM.Solarpilot.from_existing (data). That data should be the model created with PySAM.TcsmoltenSalt? Or first I have to create a new model in SolarPILOT (entering all the design parameters) and that the generated ouputs feed the PySAM.TcsmoltenSalt model?
Thank you very much to all,

Maria,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
12 May 2021 23:13 #9591 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SolarPILOT module
Hi Maria,

The SAM user interface runs SolarPILOT when you click Calculate or after you click Simulate when Optimize Heliostat Layout and Tower Dimensions is checked on the Heliostat page.

To replicate that behavior in PySAM, you would need to run the solarpilot module with appropriate inputs to generate values of receiver height, receiver diameter, tower height, and heliostat positions, and then use those values as input to the tcsmolten_salt module.

Please also see this related post:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-sdk/3422

Best regards,
Paul.

• Maria
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2021 15:35 #9594 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic SolarPILOT module
Thank you very much for your kind reply, Paul. One last question, please, about:
is_optimize
Do SolarPILOT optimization
Required: If not provided, assumed to be 0
Type:

what is the specific interpretation of this parameter? and what values could it take if it is not 0? It is the only thing I need to understand this tool well and I have not been able to find the exact information.
I would appreciate if you could help me,
All the best,

Maria, 

• Paul Gilman
More
17 May 2021 16:34 #9597 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SolarPILOT module
Hi Maria,

The is_optimize input determines whether the tcsmolten_salt module runs SolarPILOT to generate a new heliostat field layout or not. Set it to zero to run a simulation of the power tower system without generating a new layout. Set it to run to generate a new layout before running the simulation.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman