Demand response and Prosumer behavior

• Justin Hohner
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2021 23:21 #9162 by Justin Hohner
Demand response and Prosumer behavior was created by Justin Hohner
Hello,

I'm working on an economic analysis that includes price impacts on demand including real-time pricing and time of use. I would like to compare the demand or load based on static, TOU, and real-time prices for a couple of different configurations for each hour in a year. I expect that increases in prices should reduce the load/demand during those peak periods. Is there already a way to model this in SAM? If not, where would be the best place to do that. I will be doing a similar analysis for batteries also which may require a custom dispatch algorithm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Jan 2021 21:43 #9185 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Demand response and Prosumer behavior
Hi Justin,

SAM can dispatch the battery in response to electricity prices, but it does not adjust the load. To model demand response scenarios, you would have to develop different load profiles outside of SAM and use those as input for the different scenarios.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Lígia Lamounier Bittencourt
More
24 Jan 2021 12:54 #9230 by Lígia Lamounier Bittencourt
Replied by Lígia Lamounier Bittencourt on topic Demand response and Prosumer behavior
Hi, Paul!

How can I configure SAM to dispatch the battery in response to electricity prices? I'm using a generic model and a custom battery. SAM doesn't respond according to the manual dispatch that I specify.

Thank you.

• Paul Gilman
More
26 Jan 2021 01:02 #9235 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Demand response and Prosumer behavior
I would recommend running some tests in the SAM user interface to learn how the different dispatch options work before trying to work with them in via your own code.

For manual dispatch, you can set the dispatch schedules to match the time-of-use (TOU) schedules of the electricity rates so that the battery dispatch responds to the TOU prices.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman