Inconsistency between SAM and PySAM for Empirical Parabolic Trough Model

• Marcelo Fernandes
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2020 19:36 - 21 Oct 2020 23:25 #8908 by Marcelo Fernandes
Hi,

I have been trying to validate the output from SAM with those in PySAM for the same weather file using the module "TcstroughEmpirical" in PySAM and Trough Empirical in SAM. 

I have been able to match the Solar Field, SCA, HCE, and Parasitics numbers and time-series plots for both SAM and PySAM. When I plot the Cycle Thermal Power Input (Outputs.Qtpb in PySAM), I also get the same time-series plots - see figures below. However, when I check the gross (and net) electricity produced by the turbines/power block, the electricity produced is considerably lower, especially during the summer when the thermal input is maximized. I have checked the power block variables in PySAM (using Pwrb.export()) and have matched the values to the power cycle in SAM that uses SEGS 80 MWe Turbines with a design gross turbine output of 250 MWe (Pwrb.TurbOutG=250).

I do not understand how the cycle thermal input can be maxed out for both while the gross electricity produced dips below its maximum in PySAM. Would you have any insights on these differences?

I have attached three files to this question:
  • Trough_validation.sam - SAM project
  • blythe_california_33.610437_-114.596827_psm3_60_2007.csv - Weather file used in both
  • test.py - PySAM project
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 23:25 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Oct 2020 23:26 - 22 Oct 2020 17:29 #8918 by Paul Gilman
Hi Marcelo,

I am posting the follow-up message you emailed me here in case it is useful to someone else:

It seems like I have been able to figure out the problem. It seems like the "Temperature Correction Mode" parameter in SAM is automatically loaded as "Wet-bulb basis" (Pwrb.TempCorrF = 0), but PySAM automatically loads it as "Dry-bulb basis" (Pwrb.TempCorrF=1).

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2020 17:29 by Paul Gilman.

• Marcelo Fernandes
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2020 23:29 #8919 by Marcelo Fernandes
Perfect, Paul. Thanks again for doing a great job with the documentation and this forum.

Moderators: Paul Gilman