Input variable in SAM and SAMSDK

• solarjoe
  • Topic Author
More
05 May 2017 07:23 #5431 by solarjoe
Input variable in SAM and SAMSDK was created by solarjoe
Hello,

I have a question and hope that you can help me.

E.g. for the module "tcstrough_physical" the SDKtool lists
the variable "nLoops" with a type of "SSC_INPUT".

In SAM this variable is available in
Trough, Physical - Solar Field - Actual number of loops

But as a fixed field (shaded blue).

Does that mean it is possible to set this variable explicitly from
the SDK but it is calculated implicitly in SAM?

Do I have to handle all the implicit fields in SAM manually in SAMSDK?

Kind regards,
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
08 May 2017 21:32 #5432 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Input variable in SAM and SAMSDK
Dear Joe,

As you note, the variable
nLoops
is an input to the
tcstrough_physical
compute module.

And, in the desktop version of SAM, the variable is shown in the user interface on the Solar Field input page with the label "Actual number of loops," where it is a calculated value rather than an input that you enter.

That is because in the desktop version, you specify the field size either as a desired total aperture area or solar multiple, not explicitly as a number of loops. SAM does its best to determine the number of loops required to achieve either of those desired values based on the collector aperture area and other properties for each collector type on the Collectors input page (
A_aperture
in SSC).

In SSC, the total field size is not an input variable, so you do not need to calculate it. You set the number of loops along with the collector aperture area and other properties.

A good way to see how this works is to create a physical trough case in SAM, and then click Generate code on the case tab and choose "LK for SDKtool" to create an LK file that you can then open in SDKtool to see how the input variables are set. You can also use that technique to create files in other languages, but a benefit of using LK with the SDKtool is that you can use the Data Container tab to look at the values of all the variables and compare them to the values in the desktop version of SAM.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman