Thermal energy storage system Edits

• Wal58423
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2024 04:02 #13282 by Wal58423
Thermal energy storage system Edits was created by Wal58423
Hello,

I am a master's student, and my thesis will be about simulating a thermal energy storage system. The model Electric thermal energy storage is the closest to my design. So  I have a few questions related to this model.
1)  Is it possible to edit or build my model to make it completely the same as my design?
2) Can I run the model without location and resource as my model doesn't have them as an input?
3) The system includes a controller that I already developed using Python. Is it possible to integrate the controller, knowing that the controller will make decisions based on a value from a dataset, and the value changes from time to time?
I want to simulate the system based on the given data to the controller, not the weather data. 

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Waleed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
09 Jul 2024 17:39 #13290 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Thermal energy storage system Edits
Hi Waleed,

Are you planning to build your model in Python using the NREL PySAM package (nrel-pysam.readthedocs.io/en/main/), or are you trying to build a model in C++ using modules from the SSC repository (github.com/NREL/ssc/)?

The Electricy Thermal Energy Storage model was developed to work with other modules for system control, heater, power cycle, etc. that are managed by the SAM desktop application. It is tricky to get it to work as a standalone module.

Please let me know more about what you are trying to do and I will see if I can point you in the right direction.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Wal58423
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2024 21:03 #13291 by Wal58423
Replied by Wal58423 on topic Thermal energy storage system Edits
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply. 
I have a system that contains an electrical heater, two storage tanks, and a steam generator. The system will be controlled by a controller which will describe the system operation mood based on a CSV file that will be given to the controller as an input. the CSV file consists of 2 columns and the needed value is in the second column. The value could be considered to be changed hourly.
I have developed the controller in Python, now I want to integrate all components and the controller, could you please advise me on the best practice?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Waleed

• Wal58423
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2024 20:42 #13303 by Wal58423
Replied by Wal58423 on topic Thermal energy storage system Edits
Hi Paul,

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Waleed

• pgilman
More
24 Jul 2024 22:22 #13344 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Thermal energy storage system Edits
Hi Waleed,

Because of the way the model is set up, it is not possible to replace the internal controller with a different one.

The ETES storage controller (this also applies to storage with the CSP models) responds to the power price, which can be modified using the TOD factors to vary on a schedule or time series basis. One approach would be to use your controller to calculate time series power price multipliers and then set 'dispatch_factors_ts' to those multipliers, and enable the time series TOD factors by setting 'ppa_multiplier_model = 1' (TOD factors by time step option).

The ETES module requires data from a weather file to calculate heat losses and other factors that depend on ambient conditions.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman