SPT Model Equations

• Harry Morgan
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2023 11:14 #12745 by Harry Morgan
SPT Model Equations was created by Harry Morgan
Hi,

I am designing a Solar Power Tower for my MEng Chem. Eng. project. I am using SAM for this.

In my report, I will need to give an overall description of how the model works but most importantly, I will need most of the equations used throughout the model e.g the equations which are used to model heat transfer in the receiver, solar field efficiency,  attenuation losses, receiver design mass flowrate etc. etc. etc. (as well as some of the optimisation methods later on in my report).

Where is the best place to find the equations that constitute the model?

I'm assuming if I trawl through the open source code on Github I will find them, but I am completely unfamiliar with how that site works and how to interpret the code! Other systems appear to have technical reference guides. Is Wagner's MSc thesis the equivalent of this? Is it safe to assume that most of the equation sin the thesis reflect the model?

Please advise!! THANKS!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Dec 2023 23:02 #12748 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SPT Model Equations
Hi Harry,

I would recommend using the published model documentation, which is listed on the CSP Publications page: sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-publications.html.

If you have a question about the details of a specific equation, I can point you to the appropriate lines of source code. The source code is not easy to navigate: The starting point for the Molten Salt Power Tower model is here: github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/ssc/cmod_tcsmolten_salt.cpp.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Harry Morgan
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2023 00:28 #12749 by Harry Morgan
Replied by Harry Morgan on topic SPT Model Equations
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. It is a real help.

Thanks for recommending I use the published literature. So, is it safe to assume that most of what is in Wagner's thesis will cover the equations used to build SAM's power tower model and will be pretty accurate to what the model uses?

I may indeed take up your offer and ask you some questions about the source code soon, too :)

Kind regards,

Harry

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Dec 2023 20:39 #12750 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SPT Model Equations
Hi Harry,

There have been some changes to the molten salt power tower in SAM since the Wagner thesis, but the basic principles and most of the algorithms are still the same.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman