Embedded equations in SAM software

• Zhuoran
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2020 16:37 #9010 by Zhuoran
Embedded equations in SAM software was created by Zhuoran
Dear team,

I've been looking at how variables are calculated within SAM software. Specifically in CSP parabolic trough model, it uses lookup functions to find the TES fluid density/specific heat as indicated in the help menu.

May I ask where I can find those lookup functions? 

I checked the UI files in SAM/runtime/ui folder, but only find the function names that being called, such as 'substance_density' or 'cspdtr_tes_userhtf'. I couldn't find the definition of those functions. Could you help me locate them? Thanks!

Best,
Zhuoran 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Nov 2020 17:28 - 30 Nov 2020 17:29 #9031 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Embedded equations in SAM software
Hi Zuoran,

If the heat transfer fluid is user-defined, SAM uses a lookup function to interpolate between the values provided in a table of fluid properties. For the physical trough model, you can find an example of a user-defined HTF table for the Storage HTF fluid input on the Thermal Storage input page: Choose the user-defined fluid from the list, and then click Edit to see the table.

The lookup function Linear_Interp::linear_1D_interp() interpolates these table values and is defined in tcs/interpolation_routines.cpp: github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/tcs/interpolation_routines.cpp#L65.

For non-user-defined heat transfer fluids, the property functions are in tcs/htf_props.cpp: github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/tcs/htf_props.cpp#L309.

Functions from the user interface call intermediate functions in the SSC code like the ones here, github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/ssc/cmod_ui_tes_calcs.cpp#L128, but the final calls are to htf_props.cpp.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2020 17:29 by Paul Gilman.

• Zhuoran
  • Topic Author
More
01 Dec 2020 16:27 #9036 by Zhuoran
Replied by Zhuoran on topic Embedded equations in SAM software
Thanks Paul! This is what I wanted to find. Really appreciate for your help.

Best regards,
Zhuoran

Moderators: Paul Gilman