Electricity Usage

• wevodaur
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2015 15:47 #3008 by wevodaur
Electricity Usage was created by wevodaur
I'm a new user. When creating a proposal we generally have a (residential) customer's monthly usage in kWh. I see no way to enter monthly usage in the Electric Load module. In fact I find that module incomprehensible. I have no idea what the numbers in the table (shown when clicking "Edit") mean. Could you please help me to determine how to enter monthly loads in kWh?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
29 Jan 2015 16:40 #3009 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Electricity Usage
Hello,
SAM runs hourly simulations, so it needs hourly data describing the electric load (it assumes there are 8,760 hours in one year). If you only have monthly usage data (12 values of monthly usage totals), then SAM has to create data for the hourly data. This obviously adds a lot of uncertainty to your analysis because the hourly data that SAM creates is unlikely to match the actual residential consumption patterns.
To use SAM when you only have monthly usage data, choose the "Calculate Load Data" option on the Electric Load page, and provide the data describing the basic energy parameters of the building along with the monthly usage data:

1. Click Electric Load.

2. Choose Calculate Load Data from the list options.

3. Type values for the building energy parameters and monthly usage data.

4. To see the hourly data that SAM creates from the parameters, click View load data.

Best regards,

Paul.

• wevodaur
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2015 22:16 #3010 by wevodaur
Replied by wevodaur on topic Electricity Usage
Thank you Paul. That helps me. Nice program.

Moderators: Paul Gilman