Round heliostats for CSP Power Tower

• solargary
  • Topic Author
More
18 Dec 2014 13:14 #2850 by solargary
Round heliostats for CSP Power Tower was created by solargary
First of all: Thank you very much for the latest SAM release! I especially appreciate the possibility to generate x-y-coordinates for heliostat positions.
Unfortunately, the option to model round (or roundish) heliostats is now missing. Do you plan to add it in a coming release? That would be great!
Or should I use the 'ratio of reflective area to profile' variable as a work-around? I am not happy with that option, because I am afraid that concerning shading and blocking there is a significant difference between a round heliostat and a rectangular heliostat with a low 'ratio of reflective area to profile'. What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Dec 2014 18:31 #2851 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Round heliostats for CSP Power Tower
Dear Gary,

We do not have immediate plans to add round heliostats to SAM's power tower models. If we hear more requests to add this feature, we will consider doing so for a future version of SAM. If anyone else would like to model round heliostats, please let us know by responding to this thread.

There is not a good way to try to model round heliostats in SAM 2011.11.24 for the reasons you describe. As you mention, SAM 2014.1.14 and earlier have an option to model round heliostats, so you could continue using the older version for now.

Best regards,
Paul.

• solargary
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2015 13:13 #2852 by solargary
Replied by solargary on topic Round heliostats for CSP Power Tower
Paul,

Thank you for the update!

Best regards

Gerhard

Moderators: Paul Gilman