"Download" feature gives erroneous error message

• soular
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2014 02:17 #2821 by soular
I need to run SAM using the PV Watts model with single year weather data for 2006, for several locations. I click on "Download", select 2006, and enter a city name (e.g., Boston, MA or Hartford, MA). I get error messages like the following, no matter what city I choose:

Error: the selection 'Boston MA_2006' was not found in the available choices.

Then, another notice came up:

error applying library entry Boston MA_2006\
\

The strange thing is that then I get a message telling me that the data file was downloaded, and in fact it was. I'm able to simulate with any of the files I tried, and it seems to work fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Dec 2014 18:16 #2822 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic "Download" feature gives erroneous error message
Hello,
I just tried the steps you describe and was able to download a 2006 file for Boston.
It is possible that the Solar Prospector server was not responding at the moment you tried the download, or that there is something about your internet connection that is preventing SAM from communicating with the server.
Please try one more time, and if it still does not work, you can download the file directly from the Solar Prospector website .
Best regards,

Paul.

• soular
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2014 22:39 #2823 by soular
Thanks Paul, but I think you misunderstood the problem. It's not that the file isn't downloaded -- it IS downloaded but the erroneous messages cause the user to think it hasn't been. In the download process, error messages appear saying a) it couldn't be found (presumably at Solar Prospector) and b) the library entry couldn't be applied. Refreshing the library causes the file to be listed in list at the top of the screen. So I believe the error messages are wrong.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Dec 2014 17:23 #2824 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic "Download" feature gives erroneous error message
Thank you for following up. I tested this again and was able to replicate the issue as you describe it. We are investigating and will fix it for the January update.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
08 Jan 2015 17:04 #2825 by Paul Gilman
This is a problem with the weather file folder settings on some computers. We have fixed the problem for the next update. Thank you for helping us identify the problem.
In the meantime, you can work around the problem as follows:

1. On the Location and Resource page, click Folder settings.

2. Under Folder for Downloaded Solar Data Files, click the ellipses button (...).

3. Navigate to a folder where you would like SAM to store downloaded weather files. It must be a folder that you can access.
Best regards,

Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman