CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )

• Meshal_1984
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2014 10:16 #2627 by Meshal_1984
CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage ) was created by Meshal_1984
Dear all,

I am simulating a CSP power plant using The CSP Trough Physical in SAM. How To calculate the Energy in Storage for a given hour. To do that , I added up the hourly ( Thermal Energy to thermal storage , attached ) given under the Hourly Data (Time series ).

something went wrong while doing that because I found out that the thermal energy in storage in 75% of the year exceeds the TES capacity .

Does this approach ok or I have missed something like ( Thermal losses in the TES ) or there is another way to calculate how much energy available in the TES .

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• smostafavi
More
20 Oct 2014 05:23 #2628 by smostafavi
Replied by smostafavi on topic CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )
Hi Meshal,

Can you please show on what basis you say "the thermal energy in storage in 75% of the year exceeds the TES capacity". If you show this in an excel file, probably I can help you. I use TES in Tower, and I have never seen a mismatch between charged and discharged energy except you consider TES fully or half charged in the beginning of the simulations. In this case, the discharged energy from TES can surpass the charged energy.

Regards,

Saeed

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Oct 2014 17:30 #2629 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )
Dear Meshal,

I've attached a .zsam file that includes a SamUL script for calculting the energy in storage for a both the physical and empirical trough models. (The empirical trough model reports the value in the hourly results, but the physical model does not.)

Best regards,
Paul.

• Meshal_1984
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2014 05:29 #2630 by Meshal_1984
Replied by Meshal_1984 on topic CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )
Dear all thank you for your helpfull comments. Please Paul could you send it a gain I could not open it in 2014.11.24.

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Dec 2014 16:32 #2631 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )
Dear Meshal,

SAM 2014.11.24 cannot open .zsam files created by SAM 2014.1.14 and older. It also uses a different scripting language (LK replaces SamUL). I would recommend continuing to use SAM 2014.1.14 for this project.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Meshal_1984
  • Topic Author
More
05 Dec 2014 10:38 #2632 by Meshal_1984
Replied by Meshal_1984 on topic CSP Trough Physical ( Energy in Storage )
Dear Paul ,

please note that the problem still there. most of the hours of the year the thermal energy in storage exceeds the TES capacity. I once calculated Thermal energy content using first law of thermodynamics directly Q=m cp deltaT and this gave me reasonable values compared to empirical model.

Thank you

Moderators: Paul Gilman