Capturing results from statistical analysis with SAMUL

• steve.ihnen@vaisala.com
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2014 21:22 #2488 by steve.ihnen@vaisala.com
Capturing results from statistical analysis with SAMUL was created by steve.ihnen@vaisala.com
I need to capture the results of the histogram in statistical analysis in SAMUL. The information I need is exactly what is provided by running a statistical analysis, selecting the histogram, and then "Copy Graph Data".

I assume I can do this with WriteResults, but I dont know the variable names. The columns created by "Copy Graph Data" are labeled Bin, Net ac out, X, and Estimated CDF, but I don't know the correct names to use in Write Results.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Aug 2014 17:09 #2489 by Paul Gilman
Hi Steve,

Would you mind emailing me a copy of your SAM file with the SamUL script (sam dot support at nrel dot gov). Having your file would make it easier for me to see if those variables are accessible from SamUL.

Best regards,
Paul.

• steve.ihnen@vaisala.com
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2014 20:03 #2490 by steve.ihnen@vaisala.com
Replied by steve.ihnen@vaisala.com on topic Capturing results from statistical analysis with SAMUL
Hi Paul -

Actually I have a more fundamental problem than that. It is apparent that using the simulate command in a SAMUL script runs only the base case. In order to run the statistical (Monte Carlo) analysis option, I have to push "run all" on the main screen. So

1. What command do I use to run the stat simulation from within SAMUL?

2. Once I succeed in that how do I write the histogram/CDF results to a file?

3. Also, at the moment I am getting a SEGFAULT any time I run (manually, not in SAMUL) more than about 170 realizations of a model. Is there a hard limit on the size of Monte Carlo runs? I used to be able to do 500 (on a previous SAM version and a different machine) without a problem. The error message instructs me to send the wxlogstatus file to you, but that file is empty.

4. Is it just me or are the names of the input and output variables usable in SAMUL not documented anywhere?

Steve

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Aug 2014 23:12 #2491 by Paul Gilman
Hi Steve,

1. You use the LHS functions (they are listed toward the bottom of the SAM Functions list). For an example, see the script on the first tab of the the sample file SamUL Weather Uncertainty Analysis (File, Open sample file to find the file). Unfortunately, that example is a little complicated and requires that you prepare a bunch of supplementary files. We need to create a simpler sample file to illustrate how those functions work.

2. Lines 107 and later in the sample script show one approach to storing and writing the results.

3. There is not a hard limit on the number of runs. It possible either that one of the sets of inputs is causing a simulation to fail because of invalid values, or that memory resources on your computer are low.

4. No, it's not just you.

Our reworking of the SAM user interface for the next version should address the potential memory issue in #3 and the opacity of variable names in #4.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman