CSP parabolic trough HTF issues

• nicpuma
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2014 09:54 #2478 by nicpuma
CSP parabolic trough HTF issues was created by nicpuma
Dear Sir
I updated 2013 version of SAM to the latest version 2014.1.14 in june.
I am experiencing simulation fails while modelling CSP parabolic trough powerplant using Therminol 66 as HTF.
I've tried to input the Therminol 66 data as user-defined HTF but It doesn't works.
Other HTF as Diatherm Q or Therminol VP1 are perfectly working.

The error message reports the following:
MSG[0]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_trdsrc

Best regards
Nicola Puma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Aug 2014 16:14 #2479 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP parabolic trough HTF issues
Dear Nicola,
I am not sure what is causing the simulation to fail with the Therminol 66 HTF, but it may be that the HTF temperature is outside of the its operating limits for too many hours of the year. You can see the fluid limits in the table on the Solar Field topic of Help, under "Input Variable Reference:"
SAM Help -- Physical Trough Solar Field
Adjusting the heat transfer fluid inputs (inlet and outlet temperatures, flow rates, etc.) or receiver properties should help ensure that the HTF temperatures do not exceed the limits.
Do you think that might be the problem?
Best regards,

Paul.

• nicpuma
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2014 06:52 #2480 by nicpuma
Replied by nicpuma on topic CSP parabolic trough HTF issues
Dear Paul
thank you for your kind answer.
I dont think this is the problem.
I've checked the HTF temperature range, having its max at 339°C,
while Therminol 66 is supposed to operate at 345°C (listed using Dowtherm Q as HTF).
The warning occurs within 2-3 seconds from simulation start (5%).
Dowtherm Q performs the entire simulation even if giving a warning notice (trnsys.dtr: WARNING: The temperature for DowTherm Q was outside of the fluid's operating range of -35.- 330. [C] for at least 50 time steps. The fluid temperature on the 50th occurrence was 339.0 [C] at timestep 4447.0. Try changing the design parameters or fluid to ensure operating temperatures stay within the range).
Our target is to run simulations with HTF temperature around 440°C,
so I'll use Therminol VP1 even if this oil isn't the same of 66.
Thank you for your time.
Best regards
Nicola

• Paul Gilman
More
08 Aug 2014 16:50 #2481 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP parabolic trough HTF issues
Dear Nicola,

Thank you for the explanation. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I've checked the HTF temperature range, having its max at 339°C." Do you mean that the HTF temperature in the hourly results has a maximum value of 339? If the simulation fails, how are you checking the temperature?

It does seem like you will need to use a different HTF for your design temperature.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nicpuma
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2014 11:40 #2482 by nicpuma
Replied by nicpuma on topic CSP parabolic trough HTF issues
Dear Paul
I've checked the 339°C using Dowtherm Q as HTF. (clearly the simulation results in a warning for temperature out of range)
Using Dowtherm Q the simulation works properly, even if Dowtherm Q has a lower value for maximum temperature .
Therminol 66 is supposed to reach 345°C as working temperature, so it seems to be into the design temperature range.
Thank you for your time.
Nicola

Moderators: Paul Gilman