Central receiver plant sizing

• Shanley
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2014 13:36 #2406 by Shanley
Central receiver plant sizing was created by Shanley
I'm using SAM v2013.1.15 because I'm using Windows XP. I have this issue that

I would like to scale my central receiver tower plant to the available land. However, when I change my available land, it does not affect the plant's power capacity at all. Furthermore, if I change the plant's power capacity, even to impossibly large values, it does not affect to the land area required at all.

Why is this? Has it been resolved in later versions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
08 Jul 2014 16:07 #2407 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Central receiver plant sizing
Hello,
The "non-solar field land area" and "solar field land area multiplier" for the CSP models are inputs that allow you to estimate the land area required for the project as a multiple of the solar field's total reflective area plus a fixed area for other parts of the power system. SAM uses the resulting to total land area value to calculate the land-related costs that you specify in $/acre on the System Costs page. These land area inputs do not affect the system's design (plant capacity, field reflective area, etc.) at all -- they are really inputs to SAM's financial model to help you account for costs that scale with project land area.
If a design constraint for your project is land area, you should start by estimating reasonable values for the land area multiplier and non-solar land area inputs, and then estimate a nameplate capacity (on the Power Cycle page), and optimize the solar field and tower height for that nameplate capacity (see Help - Solar Field for the physical trough model, or Help - Heliostat Field for the power tower model). Then, compare the resulting total land area with your design constraint, and repeat the process with a different nameplate capacity if the area is too large or small.
If you are new to SAM or modeling tower systems, you may want to explore the sample file Power Tower Field and Storage Optimization with SamUL, which you can find on SAM's File menu, under Open sample file.
Best regards,

Paul.

• Shanley
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2014 12:20 #2408 by Shanley
Replied by Shanley on topic Central receiver plant sizing
Thanks Paul, I got it right. Much appreciated.

Moderators: Paul Gilman