Solar data - program does not run

• Verlemm
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2014 15:50 #2385 by Verlemm
Solar data - program does not run was created by Verlemm
Dear Sirs

Actually I posted this question as a comment after a question from another user, but I will repeat it here, as I dont know if you check old questions for any new reply.

When I run SAM, I get an error with the weather data. But I use a default weather (not my own one!) file which is in the program for the US.
I am new to SAM, so I started to try to run it with the data provided before I enter my own data. But it doesn't work. As it is a default weather data, I was expecting that it would work easily.

SAMSIM MESSAGES

MSG[0]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_trdsrc
MSG[1]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_exe_deck_enabled
MSG[2]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_exe_deck_enabled
MSG[3]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_exe
MSG[4]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.user_args
MSG[5]: Error reading hourly output file.
MSG[6]: Error reading monthly output file.
MSG[7]: Error reading annual output file.
MSG[8]: SVAL LOOKUP ERROR trnsys.target_hourly_folder
MSG[9]: TrnModel Notice: Deleting file 'C:/users/veronika/Local Settings/Application Data/SAMEXE/SAMEXE-veronika-INST1-2014.1.14/simdata/My_project/BASE/trough.hourly.out'

MSG[10]: TRNSYS Column 'Day_of_year' missing for variable: system.hourly.day_of_year
MSG[11]:
(...)

Regards
Vero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Verlemm
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2014 14:21 #2386 by Verlemm
Replied by Verlemm on topic Solar data - program does not run
Well, I've got news relatively to my last question.
I created successfully my own TMY3 file with the create-TMY3 tool from SAM. Still the problem was the same.
I tried to use one project from the samples, "Parabolic trough field and storage optimization". When I opened it, first appeared the results: graphs and so on. Than I run it using the green arrow, and the same error appeared.
Conclusion: the problem is not about the input variables (weather or other).
Probably the program does not run because I'm using Wine to use the program in Linux software. Has anyone tried that before?

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Jun 2014 15:11 #2387 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Solar data - program does not run
Hello,

Did you use Excel or another spreadsheet program open and save the TMY3 file? Spreadsheet programs may add commas to rows or change number formatting in a way that causes the files to be unreadable in SAM.

Please try opening your TMY3 file with a text editor and comparing it with one of the standard TMY3 files in SAM's weather file collection, and check the headers and date values to see if they look similar. Sometimes a missing value in a header field can cause problems. For example, no value for the state field, might cause problems.

As for running SAM on Linux with Wine, I know some people have tried it with some success, but I don't have any experience with it. Perhaps someone else does, and can share their experience here.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Verlemm
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2014 15:31 #2388 by Verlemm
Thank you for your comment, Paul!
Well, I used a random .csv file from the list which is in the program (from different regions US I guess) as a base file in the TMY3 creator, there I pasted my data into the table and wrote the right coordinates/name/description above the table. That was how I created the file. But after I did not open it with Exel, before I read about the comma-problem.

But as I am testing now the samples from SAM and the given datasets, I got the following:
> All simulations run correctly! Except for parabolic trough plants! Which is the one I need.

Maybe there was an error while installing. I am downloading again the exe file, and will install the programm again.

Regards

• Verlemm
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2014 15:39 #2389 by Verlemm
All simulations run, except the concentration technolgies (all of them)

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Jun 2014 18:14 #2390 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Solar data - program does not run
Hi,
The fact that the CSP models do not run suggests that there may be a problem with one of the weather data elements that only the CSP models use. You can see a list of the data elements used by each model in SAM's Help system:
Help -- Weather Data Overview
The CSP models use atmoshperic pressure, relative humidity, and the wet- and dry-bulb temperatures that the PV models do not use.
Best regards,

Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman