Problem with NASA TMY2 file

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2014 16:52 #2240 by Paul Gilman
Problem with NASA TMY2 file was created by Paul Gilman
I am trying to assess PV plant in SAM using a .tm2 weather file from NASA, But SAM not able to simulate. The problem is shown in below picture. Here with this mail I am attaching that weather file. This weather file is working fine with CSP technology but not in PV technology. Please advise me.
Weather files in the TMY2 (.csv) and TMY3 (.tm2) format from sources other than the NREL National Solar Radiation Database (NSRDB) sometimes have formatting errors that prevent them from working in SAM.
For example, the TMY2 format file you are working with is missing the State field, which causes SAM's weather file reader to fail. Here is the incorrect header for your file:
999   Jaisalmer                  6  N 26 55 E  70 57   241

To correct the problem, you can open the file in a text editor and type a two-letter abbreviation in Column 31 of the first row. You must replace the two blank characters in columns 31 and 32 so that the latitude value's position is not shifted to the right:
999   Jaisalmer              IN  6  N 26 55 E  70 57   241

You can find file format definitions for the TMY2 and TMY3 weather file formats in the user's manuals for the NSRDB TMY2 and TMY3 datasets:  rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/ . Another way to check the format of your file is to compare it with one of the files in SAM's weather file collection, which by default in Windows is in the C:\SAM\2014.1.14\weather folder.

One note of caution: Avoid using a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel to edit the weather files. Excel reformats some of the data in the file, which renders it unreadable by SAM. Use a text editor to make changes to a weather file, and always keep a copy of the original file as a backup.

Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RAJIITROORKEE
More
03 Feb 2015 09:34 #2241 by RAJIITROORKEE
Replied by RAJIITROORKEE on topic Problem with NASA TMY2 file
i want weather files of jaisalmer, jodhpur, bikaner and chennei for the CSP power plant use. due to these files my work is delayed so please help me as soon as possible.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2015 18:04 #2242 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Problem with NASA TMY2 file
Hello,
You can download typical year and historical (single-year) data for locations in India from the NREL Renewable Resource Data center's India Solar Resource  web page. To download the data, you will need your location's latitude and longitude in decimal degrees.
Best regards,

Paul.

• RAJIITROORKEE
More
03 Feb 2015 19:58 #2243 by RAJIITROORKEE
Replied by RAJIITROORKEE on topic Problem with NASA TMY2 file
hello sir,

thank you so much sir for your help.

Moderators: Paul Gilman