MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS

• David H. Bachman
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2014 12:33 #2180 by David H. Bachman
MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS was created by David H. Bachman
How is the the array description entered that describes a micro inverter based array specifically 3X3 ground based array using Enphase 250 muicro inverters?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Feb 2014 18:47 #2181 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS
Dear David,
There is a description of how to model a system with Enphase inverters in SAM's help system, which you can find in SAM by clicking the Help menu. Here's a link to the online copy:
SAM Help - Microinverters
As mentioned in that description, SAM comes with a sample file with two examples of systems with microinverters. You can find the sample files by clicking Open sample file from SAM's File menu.
Best regards,

Paul.

• Clean.Energy.Eng
More
28 Mar 2015 15:52 #2182 by Clean.Energy.Eng
Replied by Clean.Energy.Eng on topic MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS
Paul, or whoever can help...

I am using the OSX version of SAM, and want to model a 30 panel/30 microinverter system. There seems to be a maximum of 4 sub-arrays... Also, I can't find the sample file, and there is no "Open sample file" in the SAM File menu...nor can i find the sample file in my downloads, or online.

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Mar 2015 19:58 #2183 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS
Hello,
The sample file I mention above is for SAM 2014.1.14 and older versions of SAM. You can find a file that will work with SAM 2014.11.24 and later versions here:
/samples 
Please see the notes in the sample file for tips on using the detailed photovoltaic model for a system with microinverters.
As for the number of subarrays -- why do you need more than four? The subarrays are intended for a rooftop array that is divided into different sections for a roof with multiple surfaces that face different directions. For a 30-panel array with 30 microinverters, you should set up one subarray (Subarray 1) and set the number of modules per string to 1, number of strings in parallel to 30, and number of inverters to 30.
Best regards,

Paul.

• Clean.Energy.Eng
More
01 Apr 2015 18:26 #2184 by Clean.Energy.Eng
Replied by Clean.Energy.Eng on topic MICROINVERTERS BASED ARRAYS
Aloha Paul,

I created the model the way you described, before contacting you, and initially got some weird results (losses over 25%). I went back and reviewed my inputs, might have changed something, output looks normal. My system will have 3 sub-arrays, on separate roof sections, with a different orientation for each sub-array...

I originally thought that with microinverters, one string per array might be required...hence the thought of needing more than four sub-arrays.

Now I am trying to put in shading data from a SunEye report, still trying to get the raw data...all I have now is the pdf report (very pretty, but can't input into SAM).

Thanks for the information and the links to the sample file.

Mahalo,

Steven L. "Red" Pike, Marine Engineer/Naval Architect
USCG Licensed Chief Engineer: Any Horsepower; Steam, Motor, or Gas Turbine

Moderators: Paul Gilman