Getting Started with SAM

• zachpolen
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2013 20:54 #2035 by zachpolen
Getting Started with SAM was created by zachpolen
Hello,

I have began to read some of the learning links on the computer and ran some customized simulations with the software, I have a few questions I would love to have answered.

1. Is there a way to view the calculations or equations that output the different standardized output plots.
2. Is there a block diagram user interface similar to say a Simulink? * To clarify this question is there a tool to do the design of the solar array/power electronics at a chosen site and obtain the outputs from the design that the current SAM simulator runs? Example, I design a roof top rack with 1 string of 10 PV modules in an array with 1 inverter in a specific location, could I take this and then run the SAM simulator and get these outputs?

Sincerely,

Zach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Dec 2013 21:42 #2036 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Getting Started with SAM
Dear Zach,

1. Not really, although if you dig through the various bits of documentation, you can find equations for some of the results variables. Because the results are from a simulation model, there often is not a simple equation that describes the value.

2. No. SAM does not have a block diagram interface that you can use to "build" a system. For the photovoltaic system example you give, you would describe the system design on the input pages for the flat plate PV model.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman