Optimization of PT Plants

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2013 19:38 #1909 by Paul Gilman
Optimization of PT Plants was created by Paul Gilman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hrk2888
More
15 Nov 2013 03:11 #1910 by hrk2888
Replied by hrk2888 on topic Optimization of PT Plants
Hi Paul,
I could not quite adapt the Power Tower Field and Storage Optimization with SamUL to work for Parabolic trough plants. The basic error is that PtOptimize() does not work when the active case is a parabolic trough plant. Is there a way of using the same or any other optimization package for Parabolic plants? Right now, I am going ahead with parametric analysis. I have posted a new question regarding that.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2013 16:19 #1911 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Optimization of PT Plants
The PtOptimize() function in SamUL runs the same code as the power tower heliostat field optimization wizard that you can access from the power tower model's Heliostat Field page. That optimization routine calculates the optimal number and distribution of heliostats in the power tower solar field. It does not apply to the parabolic trough or other CSP models.

I suggested the SamUL script as an example of how to use SamUL to automate a parametric study. You could do an equivalent optimization using the Parametric simulation option, but in some cases using SamUL may be more efficient. That's especially true if your optimization involves several variables.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman