Hybridization Fresnel linear/Fuel for electricity plant

• Coralie Ruffenach
  • Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2013 10:34 #1894 by Coralie Ruffenach
Hello,
I am trying to simulate the hybridization between a thermal solar plant (Fresnel Linear) and a fuel electricity plant on SAM.
The idea is to replace a part of the fuel consumption by solar electricity when it is sunny (without storage).
The fuel turbine has a power of 90 MW. It should produce ca. 700 GWh/year if working 24/7.
My problem is that I don't manage to get this quantity fixed and ask SAM to simply substitute a part of it by solar electricity when possible.
With a wide solar field (500 000 m2) I manage to reach a 98% capacity factor but with a smaller area (eg 120 000 m2) the capacity factor strongly decreases and I don't get the total 700 GWh I wanted.
Could you help me ?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Coralie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Nov 2013 21:03 #1895 by Paul Gilman
Dear Coralie,
SAM is not designed to model this kind of a system. It will model a linear Fresnel system with "fossil backup" where heat from a gas boiler supplements solar energy from the field to maintain the field outlet HTF temperature at the design point. The situation you want to model is the opposite, where the solar field reduces the turbine's fuel consumption.
You could use SAM to determine the solar field's hourly output, and then calculate the turbine fuel reduction outside of SAM.
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman