We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

SAM for GUAM / Micronesia

• APEG
  • Topic Author
More
17 Sep 2013 07:08 #1804 by APEG
SAM for GUAM / Micronesia was created by APEG
Hi... I just downloaded SAM and was trying it. Looks a great software tool but I noticed that only US states are supported. How can we use it in Guam, Am. Samoa, CNMI and/or the Free Associated States like Palau?

Rgds,
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
19 Sep 2013 15:06 #1805 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic SAM for GUAM / Micronesia
Dear Peter,

You can use SAM to model a project anywhere in the world, as long as you have a weather file to represent the renewable energy resource at the project site, and information about costs, financial assumptions, and incentives that apply to the project.

The NSRDB TMY3 and EPW (sorry about the acronyms) weather file databases both include files for some of the locations you list:

NSRDB TMY3 files by state and city

EnergyPlus weather files for the Southwest Pacific region

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, several companies sell weather files in formats that SAM can read. SAM's Help system lists some of those companies, and also describes how to download weather files from the sites I list above. You can get to the Help system from SAM, or from the Learning page of the SAM website:

SAM Help system: Download Weather Files

Best regards,
Paul.

• frohro
More
20 Jan 2020 06:17 #7882 by frohro
Replied by frohro on topic SAM for GUAM / Micronesia
Hi Paul, et. al.,
Do you know where I can get insolation data for Chuuk and Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia?
Thanks,
Rob

• pgilman
More
20 Jan 2020 16:14 #7883 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic SAM for GUAM / Micronesia
Hi Rob,

Please see the Weather Page for information about where to find weather data to use with SAM:

sam.nrel.gov/weather-data

Neither the NREL NSRDB nor the European Commission PVGIS V5 databases include locations in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman