.binm weather files to CSV or TMY

• hrk2888
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2013 22:37 #1795 by hrk2888
.binm weather files to CSV or TMY was created by hrk2888
I have a large number of .binm weather files which I need to use in SAM. I can convert them to .bin files by just renaming the files. Now, how can I convert these files to a usable format in SAM, like TMY2 or TMY3 or CSV or EPW?

Thanks,
Hemang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Sep 2013 18:29 #1796 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic .binm weather files to CSV or TMY
Dear Hemang,

For now, the best approach is probably to try to convert the files to to the TMY3 format because it is a comma-delimited format that is easier to work with than the TMY2 format, and has fewer data fields than the EPW format.

I would use a scripting language like Python to do the conversion, but you could also try to do it in SAM's SamUL scripting language using the CustomizeTMY3() function.

Whatever approach you use, be sure to refer to the TMY3 manual for a description of the file format requirements, and carefully test some files to make sure they run in SAM before you convert them all.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to add them.

We are working to develop a new SAM weather file format that is more flexible than the TMY2, TMY3, and EPW formats that will make these kinds of conversions a little easier. However, that won't be available until the 2014 version of SAM, which we'll release in Fall 2014.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Paul.

• hrk2888
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2013 05:07 #1797 by hrk2888
Replied by hrk2888 on topic .binm weather files to CSV or TMY
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I will let you know how it goes.

Hemang

Moderators: Paul Gilman