Solar Multiple

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
02 Aug 2013 12:54 #1737 by Pierre
Solar Multiple was created by Pierre
Dear Sir,

I work with 2013.1.15 Version of SAM (CSP Trough Empirical, Commercial).

I wanted to ask you about Solar Multiple. I think that the next equation is defined in manual:
"Solar Multiple" = Thermal Energy from Solar field / "Design turbine thermal input"

Is it correct?

But in the program, I have verified that the next equation is applied:
"Solar Multiple" = ("Design turbine thermal input" + "Max Power to storage")/ "Design turbine thermal input"

So, if you have "Solar Multiple"=3, "Max power to storage"=2*"Design turbine thermal input"

Could you help me?

Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Aug 2013 18:25 #1738 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Solar Multiple
Dear Pierre,

The solar multiple is a measure of the solar field aperture area as a function of the power block's nameplate capacity.

For the empirical trough model, SAM calculates a value called the "exact aperture reflective area" that is the solar field aperture area required to deliver the power cycle's "design turbine thermal input" thermal energy at the direct normal radiation, ambient temperature, and wind velocity shown under "Solar Multiple Reference Conditions." The "exact" aperture area is equivalent to a solar multiple of one.

The solar multiple is:

Solar Multiple = Aperture Reflective Area / Exact Aperture Reflective Area

For explanations of the calculated values on the input pages, see the Help system. For example, the Solar Field page variables are described here .

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman