Main transform losses

• Igor
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2013 17:19 #1710 by Igor
Main transform losses was created by Igor
Dear Paul

I am trying to simulate a parabolic trough collector thermal plant.

I would like to know if there are considered the main transform losses in the parasitic losses existing after gross electric output and before net electric output. If so, what is the parameter that represents them?

Best regards

Igor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Jul 2013 17:35 #1711 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Main transform losses
Dear Igor,

SAM's physical trough model uses different modeling approaches to calculate parasitic losses in different parts of the system. Table 18 on Page 105 of the physical trough reference manual ( PDF 3.7 MB )lists the various parasitic losses.

I am not sure what you mean by "main transform losses." Can you explain?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Igor
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2013 18:03 #1712 by Igor
Replied by Igor on topic Main transform losses
Dear Paul

By “main transform losses” I mean the efficiency of the main transformer (sorry, I wanted to say “main transformer losses”).

I assume that the gross electric output is the energy generated by the power cycle. Then, we have to consider the parasitic losses you mention, and finally, before connecting the energy into the grid, the electricity must be converted from low voltage to high voltage by means of a transformer. This transformer has an efficiency that reduces the energy we connected to the grid (the net electric output).

My doubt is: is this transformer considered? If so, how it is represented its efficiency?

Best regards

• Paul Gilman
More
24 Jul 2013 23:39 #1713 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Main transform losses
Dear Igor,

Thank you for the clarification. SAM's CSP models do not explicitly model transformer losses.

There are two ways you could model transformer losses: Include it in the "Percent of annual output" value on the Performance Adjustment page, or use the "Balance of plant parasitic" value on the Parasitics page to represent the losses.

If you use the Performance Adjustment input, you will not see the loss represented in the performance model's hourly results because SAM applies the adjustment factors as part of the financial model.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman