Can I Accurately Model PV System Performance for Dual MPPT Inverters with SAM?

• nginsburg48@yahoo.com
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2013 17:16 #1676 by nginsburg48@yahoo.com
Hello,

Many residential solar energy systems use dual-MPPT inverters with dissimilar strings landed on each DC input. Can this be modeled using SAM (either through the UI or SamUL)? Through the UI it seems I'm only able to model systems with even stringing (e.g. two strings of 10 modules). For example how would one model a Power-One 4200 inverter with a string of 11 modules facing west on MPPT1 and a string of 9 modules facing south on MPPT2, each MPPT having a unique shade profile?

If this functionality is not available then I would kindly like to submit this as a feature request.

Thanks so much,
Noah Ginsburg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Jul 2013 16:36 #1677 by Paul Gilman
Hi Noah,

If you model a PV system with the Flat Plate PV model that has two subarrays, SAM assumes that each subarray operates at its maximum power point, and that both subarrays are connected to the same inverter or bank of inverters. That should accurately represent the scenario you describe. If you provide a separate shading scene for each subarray, SAM will adjust each subarray's incident radiation to account for losses due to shading.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nginsburg48@yahoo.com
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jul 2013 08:08 #1678 by nginsburg48@yahoo.com
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I attempted this technique and I'm able to allocate strings to subarrays with unique tilt/azimuth/shading, but it seems the strings must all have the same number of modules (Modules per String and Strings in Parallel are defined on the Array).

Is it possible to model performance for a system with a dual MPPT inverter powered by one string of 11 modules and another string of 9 modules?

Best regards,
Noah Ginsburg

• Paul Gilman
More
08 Jul 2013 19:13 #1679 by Paul Gilman
Hi Noah,

That is a limitation of SAM -- the flat plate PV model assumes that all PV subarrays have the same number of modules per string because it only models a single inverter or bank of inverters, and it assumes that the system has a single MPPT component.

Sorry about my misleading earlier reply.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman